1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

2x12 like 2x15?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by insomniac2295, Apr 28, 2009.

1. I'm contemplating downsizing my 4x10 to a 2 1x12 mini rig powered by something like 600 watts or so. I've used a 2x15 with only 450 watts going into it in the past and have been satisfied. Think that I'll be okay? I'm only going up against a drummer and a guitarist that uses a 212 tube combo who's aware that his amp has a volume knob.

2. I've just done that. In the past I've owned and used dual and single 15" cabs. This month I purchased a MB LMII and it's connected to a pair of 12" cabs rated 300 Watts each. Used it at a gig 2 weeks ago. Excellent performance, sounded good and weighs a whole lot less (25 lb per cab). I was happy to leave the 70 lb 15" cab at home - this new setup lacks none of the tone I had with 15(s).

3. buffordbass

buffordbass

Nov 11, 2004
    Dallas
    Endorsing Artist: Genz Benz Amps, Lakland Basses
    Go with dual Genz-Benz 112Neox cabs and you'll be fine!!

4. Medford Bassman

Medford Bassman Supporting Member

Aug 8, 2007
    Medford, Wisconsin
    i use a 600 watt head with a Genz Benz NEOX 212 cabinet and have never had a problem.

Sometimes I just use a NEOX 112 cab when it's a small room.

Of course, I always run a DI to the FOH.

5. PSPookie

PSPookie

Aug 13, 2006
    Ocoee, TN
    You should be fine with that. I had no trouble being heard with an LMII and a 4 ohm Aguilar GS212.

My favorite cabs so far are the Bad End S15-Ds. Two of those would definietly be heard and they're about the same size/weight as a 112.

6. how loud would this setup be compared to a 410?

7. hrgiger

hrgiger

Jan 11, 2009
    What happened to your sweet Peavey 810??

8. PSPookie

PSPookie

Aug 13, 2006
    Ocoee, TN
    That depends on the 410.

My Ampeg V4BH into 2 Bag End S15-Ds was much louder than the same head going into an Ampeg 410HE.

9. After playing a basement show that involved bringing it down a narrow flight of stairs, I decided it was too big and bulky for me, so I traded it in for the Avatar 410 that I have now.

10. And just what do you have planed for your avatar cab?

11. well, I'm thinking I'll just trade it for 2 matching Avatar 1x12 neo's

..unless someone thinks that I should just keep my Avatar.

One other tidbit I think I should share- Sometimes, my band finds ourselves playing without proper PA support (just vocals through the PA).

Main reason I'm looking to get the 2 1x12's is portability. Plus I'm gassing for a mini rig!