1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

3/4 or 4/4

Discussion in 'Strings [DB]' started by RBPCRC, May 10, 2018.

Tags:
  1. RBPCRC

RBPCRC

Mar 8, 2015
    Would the Spirocore light S42 be the 3/4 or 4/4 set?

2. Reiska

Reiska

Jan 27, 2014
    Helsinki, Finland
    S42 is the 4/4 set.

3. BobKay

BobKay Supporting Member

Nov 5, 2012
    Estero, Florida; USA
    But keep in mind that the S42 set fits either 3/4 or 4/4. According to Gollihur Music it is the most common. I have two sets on two basses, one 3/4 and one 7/8ths. They do make a 3/4 specific set, 3885, but I've never bought it. Not sure why they have it.

oren likes this.
  4. RBPCRC

RBPCRC

Mar 8, 2015
    Another question: how long does it typically take for the banjo sound to wear off?

5. Sam Dingle

Sam Dingle Supporting Member

Aug 16, 2011
    New Orleans

1 month of heavy use, 2 months of decent use for me.

Do this trick rub each string down with some olive oil right when you take them out of the package. Each time I've gotten a new set they feel better after doing that

Chris Fitzgerald likes this.
  6. I believe it is a bit heavier, to get a somewhat matching resulting tension between the 3/4 bass and the 4/4.

Mark Gollihur likes this.
  7. The S42 is the Medium 4/4 set. The 4/4 Weich are the S42W.

8. RBPCRC

RBPCRC

Mar 8, 2015
    Is there a big difference in bowability with 4/4 and 3/4 weich set?

9. Selim

Selim Supporting Member

Jun 2, 2008
    New York City
    I’ve had both on my bass recently (Spiro weichs) and didn’t notice that one set bowed “better” than the other. Only difference I found was the 3/4 set is slightly tighter and that there’s slightly more depth to the sound in general

Steve Boisen likes this.
  10. Selim

Selim Supporting Member

Jun 2, 2008
    New York City
    Rub oil onto the part of the string that a bow is going to touch?

11. Sam Dingle

Aug 16, 2011
    New Orleans
    No the whole string not just bow part. Wipe from red end to red end and leave it sitting on the strings for a day (maybe even before putting them on). Next day wipe them down to get any extra off and throw them on

12. Selim

Selim Supporting Member

Jun 2, 2008
    New York City
    Oh, my concern was putting oil on the part of the string where one bows and the negative effect it would have on the bow hair.
    So, you're doing this to get oil "inside", onto the core of the string thru the spaces between the outer wrap in order to tame the output?
    Thanks,
    Dave

13. Sam Dingle

Aug 16, 2011
    New Orleans
    No it's different. Last 2 times I bought a brand new Spirocore it had a sort of white powder on it. And was harsh. I dulled the string down slightly by putting oil on the whole length of it and it helped fight the harshness. Probably dulled it as much as playing it for a week would have. I don't think you will have a negative affect on the bow hair if you clean it off well. Or just play them in like so many others do.

Selim likes this.
  14. RBPCRC

RBPCRC

Mar 8, 2015
    Has anyone ever tried submerging the Spiros in oil? Bad idea?

15. Sam Dingle

Aug 16, 2011
    New Orleans
    Why? I've used oil on brand new spiros by putting a dimes worth on a paper towel and running it up and down the string to wear it out a little before playing but wouldn't do it again (I like bright). You want to put the whole string in oil?

16. RBPCRC

RBPCRC

Mar 8, 2015
    I went to school for classical but have mainly been playing jazz for a while. I'm feeling very reluctant to put on the Spiros since though the Hybrids feel rubbery at times I think the bass still sounds good with them pizz. Under the bow they respond like like good arco strings.

Sam Dingle likes this.