1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

3-D Router Sled

Discussion in 'Luthier's Corner' started by funkomatic, Nov 1, 2010.

1. funkomatic

funkomatic

Sep 28, 2006
    I am about to build a simple router jig that will allow me to quickly rout a truss rod channel. Basically just a simple wooden sled with a couple of skis that will slide in a pair of channels or parallel fences. The neck would be positioned between the channels. I just position the router bit over the neck and drag the sled along the channel. I found a picture of a similar arrangement not long back.

But I've been thinking about how I could expand on that idea to allow the router to move along the X and Y axis, and using the plunge base to move along the Z axis or by making the sled's skis different heights. I already have some ideas on how I might make this work.

I know someone out there has plans for something like this. It doesn't have to be anything fancy. If someone knows of something like this and can drop me a link I would appreciate it.