1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

4 knob active/passive pre w/ passive tone

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by LowG, Feb 11, 2018.

1. LowG

LowG

Dec 8, 2006
    Milwaukee, WI
    I'm pretty new to the world of active electronics, could use guidance...

I have a 90's Warwick Fotress One. It is stock, has PJ pickups and has 4 knobs: vol (push/pull passive), blend and active treble, active bass. When I used to play it a lot I'd just play it active and use a slight bass boost.

My tastes have changed such that I more often these days play a regular passive PJ wired VVT.

I want to start playing the Warwick more now and want to use it passive most of the time and utilize a traditional passive tone knob. So I want to replace or mod the electronics to do this.

I figured I might as well make it still active and passive. But one thing I don't like about the stock active treble/bass is how extreme they are, so I'd prefer the new setup to have freqs less far up/down the spectrum.

Any tips?

2. MovinTarget

MovinTarget

Jan 30, 2018
    Maryland, USA
    I wonder if something like the Noll i just bought could be wired like that.

Its 4band on 3 stacked pots with p/p active passive. This means that you have one knob left for passive tone. It would just be a matter of routing the signal to that passive tone when you "pull"...

3. Northfear

Northfear

Mar 15, 2017
    Any preamp can be wired this way. Noll even got pots that combine active tremble and passive tone if you don't want to use stacked pots or drill new holes (boosts tremble after 50% and cuts tone below 50%).
    If you're not experienced with wiring, Nordstrand wiring diagrams might be a good starting point.
    Preamp Wiring Diagrams and Schematics
    Look for the ones with tone control and Volume/Volume or Volume/Balance, depending on your current wiring (I believe its V/B)
    This one looks like the closest one to your wiring
    https://cdn.shopify.com/s/files/1/1941/7837/files/2B-4c_epoxy.pdf?744051323792808354

MovinTarget likes this.