4 String Recommendations for D standard/Drop C?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Challanger2, Jun 18, 2020.

1. Challanger2

Challanger2

Feb 13, 2015
    Does anyone have recommendations on a bass for use exclusively in D standard/Drop C? The main purpose for the bass is hard rock/metal covers in my band.

I have some 5 and a 6 string bass that I like, but I’ve found that I’ve been enjoying not having to dance around the B string when it’s rarely used, as we standardize any songs we perform from E/Drop D or Eb/Drop Db to D/Drop C, and we aren’t covering anything heavy enough to need the low B. And the songs we cover don’t easily transpose to being played on a 5 string, as the open string is often played in a way what would be difficult if moved to the third fret of the low B. The only 4 string I have is a fender fallout boy signature P bass (which honesty doesn’t sound bad for the ~$100 I got it for off craigslist). It’s sounds ok in D/Drop C, but the strings get pretty loose, even with heavy gauge strings. It also seems like the tuning range is not the sweet spot for the P pickup. It sounds great in E, but it looses its oomph in drop C pretty noticeably.

What should I be looking for in a 4 string bass for D/Drop C? I was originally thinking of trying to get one with a 35” scale length, but trying to find 35” scale 4 strings is near impossible. Any suggestions on pickup types would be appreciated as well. I usually play with SVT-esq overdrive, but not too much. I let the guitars do the heavy lifting distortion wise. I tend to buy most of my instruments used, and would be looking to spend $500-$1000.

EDIT: forgot to mention that I use the line 6 helix for all of my recording and live sound.

2. Challanger2

Challanger2

Feb 13, 2015