1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

4-String scroll CM#1 for Chris.gotfunk

Discussion in 'Luthier's Corner' started by erikbojerik, Jan 28, 2008.

1. OK, this is a scroll 4-banger for Chris. It has a couple of cool unique features that I'll highlight as the build progresses, and how I go about making them happen.

Walnut body w/ flame maple stringers
    EMG 35DC with wenge pickup surround & wenge control plate
    Hipshot A 0.750" brass (black)
    bolt-on 3-pc laminated rock maple neck, CF rods
    wenge headstock overlay & backstrap
    quartersawn wenge fingerboard, 24+ frets, zero fret
    double-action truss rod w/ access underneath end of fingerboard
    Hipshot ultralights (black)
    Tru Oil finish
    Straplocs (black)

Chris wants a pretty low string profile above the body, so it will end up as a bit of a carve-top thinning slightly toward the body edge. I like this solution better than routing a recess for just the bridge.

Here's a shot of the mock-up (blueprint really) from CAD:

MockUp.jpg

And here's a shot of my lumber selection:

warehouse.jpg

2. Wood selection is probably one of the most important steps right off the bat. We didn't want to go crazy with any figured walnut on this one, so I found a nice dark flatsawn piece with some interesting grain.

For the laminated neck I like to find flat-sawn 4/4 stock, cut the lams, then flip them 90° to yield quartered lams. So the lams will come from the left side of the maple piece.

The last bit on the right is some perfectly quartered wenge (view is of the flat-sawn edge).

CMlumber.jpg

3. After rough-sawing, the neck lams are first planed flat on one quartered face using a power jointer, then squared on one flat-sawn face using the same. This yields a perfect 90° angle whose sides yield a flat register for the thickness sander.

neck1.jpg

After truing up in the 16-32 they're ready for gluing in my glue press, which amounts to a pair of 2" aluminum angles clamped shut with 8 screw-type bar clamps. Here's a shot of it with a different neck in the press. The clamps are the ends keep all the lams clamped down to a flat piece of MDF underneath the press (can't see it from this shot), so that the lams don't float around while squeezing the angles shut.

IMO it's really important to have the lams flat and true (all 90° angles) at this stage.

GluePress.jpg

4. Body lams are first thickness planed, then jointed true on the glue edges. Then the whole works is clamped together using big 36" Jet bar clamps.

body2.jpg
    body1.jpg

5. scottyd

scottyd Commercial User

Nov 17, 2006
    Waco Tx
    Builder/owner Redeemer Basses
    Hey we got the same jointer:p How do you like it? Another Scroll build AWESOME! If this turns out anything like bass you won guitar of the month with its going to be sweet. :hyper:

6. nice! finally get to see some of your work!

7. chris.gotfunk

chris.gotfunk

Mar 21, 2007
    Ashburn, Va
    Erik,
    I am soo stoked for this build!!! :hyper: :hyper:Thanks for taking on the project and working with me. I cannot wait to see the progress.
    Peace,
    Chris

8. j-raj

j-raj Bassist: Educator/Soloist/Performer Supporting Member

Jan 14, 2003
    Indianapolis, IN
    very cool build thread.

9. I love Scrolls!Subscribed...:hyper::D Congrats,Chris!:cool:

10. chris.gotfunk

chris.gotfunk

Mar 21, 2007
    Ashburn, Va
    Thank you. As you can tell, I am pretty excited!!!! :hyper::hyper:

11. contakt321

contakt321

Jul 31, 2006
    New York, NY
    Love the 70's/80's CT influence on this - can't wait to see how it turns out!

12. A little more work done...body blank is skimmed down to thickness and ready for routing the neck pocket (after I get the body and neck templates done...hehehe :D).

body4.jpg

13. Here's how I'm doing my straight fingerboard radius these days. First the nicely quartered wenge FB blank is thickness sanded a hair on the thick side of final spec...talking 0.01 or so. Then it is double-stick taped to the trusty (but straight and true) length of black limba (not neck-worthy due to a well-placed knot..).

neck2.jpg

Now rotate 90° and walk it over to the router table...

neck3.jpg

...where there's a fence set up flush on the bearing of the oh-so-special router bit...the 10" radius bit!!

neck4.jpg

eek2.gif eek2.gif eek2.gif

14. Jonsbasses

Jonsbasses

Oct 21, 2006
    Fort Worth, TX
    Builder: Jon's Basses
    Good to see those million dollar radius bits going to good use. I'm looking forward to seeing more work done, it's nice seeing pricey power tools put to work. Once I sell my grizzly drum sander I plan on going for a Performax or Jet 16-32 drum sander. Being able to thickness whole body blanks will save a lot of time!

15. how much would one of those bits cost?

if you dont mind...:)

16. wow, what a smart way to make a radiused fretboard!

17. $200 is what it cost me. It was done in-house in the machine shop at the place where I work, the guy made them after hours. I got various quotes from other outside companies that ranged from $250 to $350 each.

18. whoa, well i guess if i ever get to do alot of neck radiusing ill have to find a place that can make em....its a great idea.

19. Rudyboy98

Rudyboy98

Jan 25, 2008
    South Bay, CA
    Interesting design. Never seen anything like it. It's pretty unique!

Good luck on the build!

Congrats, Chris! Look forward to seeing the end product!

Rock on!:bassist:

R...

20. well, its not completely original, IMO its heavily inspired by Les Claypool's main 4 string.....or a 70s CT......but nontheless and amazing build

21. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

May 9, 2021