4 to 5

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by HiFi, Jan 3, 2004.

1. HiFi

Apr 20, 2002
    Anaheim, CA
    What's the transition from 4 to 5 like? How difficult (individually), how much adjustment time? Any other thoughts or comments or tips regarding the transition?
  2. It all depends with the bass you choose. For example, going from wide 4 string spacing to somewhat narrow 5 string (eg. Stingray5) is a little difficult at first. It takes a little getting used to but eventually when you do get used to it you miss that 5th string when you play and the spacing doesn't seem nearly as tight as it did at first. The hardest part is getting used to slapping/popping that tight spacing but after enough practice that comes too.
  3. JMX

JMX Vorsprung durch Technik

Sep 4, 2000
    Cologne, Germany
    If you have good basic technique, you'll have no major problems.
    Make sure you are able to use the "thumb-on-back-of -the-neck"-technique for your fretting hand, can do proper damping of strings with either fretting or plucking hand (maybe floating thumb with the plucking hand too), etc.
  4. BoiNtC

Nov 25, 2002
    NYC, USA
    I was a 4string player and thought I'd never play a 5 as my main, but it happened :p adjustment for me took about a few hours of real playing, no real issues, just need to remember the B string is the top string now instead of the E, after a few hours it wasn't that bad at all, but when I first picked it up, I hit the B string as an E just out of normal habits from playing a 4.
  5. David Wilson

David Wilson Administrator Staff Member Administrator Supporting Member

Oct 14, 2002
    Lower Westchester, NY
    like everyone has said, some initial difficulties. I found mine were more due to the 5th string than any string spacing differences, but YMMV.
    When I got my V, I played it exclusively for a couple of months until I was comfortable with the 5th string and using different muting technique (such as anchoring my pinky on the B). It was then weird to go back to 4, as I then thought the E was a B :)
    But I got used to it, and these days I switch back and forth between 4 and 5 no problems.
  6. cods

Sep 16, 2003
    what about 4 to 7?
  7. notabob

Sep 20, 2003
    cincinnati ohio
    you should work up to that, that kinda leaves you nowhere to go. except for 9, then 12...:D

i switched from four to five in a matter of seconds really. i was so psyched about it that there was no way i could forget that the first string was a b. it wasnt a problem for me at all. now that i have the five, the lowest note i really ever use is the low d, and i barely even use that. the only problem i have now, is someone will be like, "hey brian, why dont you try playing an e next time instead of a b." ill be like, "whoops, dang you 5 strings." that doesnt happen on the open notes just on things like the octave e and b on the second frets. its just a matter of mentality i guess (please dont ask me to explain myself).
  8. embellisher

embellisher Holy Ghost filled Bass Player Staff Member Supporting Member

john turner went straight from 4 to 7.

bassable, I went from 4 to 6, and gigged with the 6 the week that I bought it.

It depends on the player.
  9. jammadave

jammadave Rudderless ship Supporting Member

Oct 15, 2003
    Wash DC metro area
    I'll let you know =0) In addition to my current basses and the incoming Thumbs (also both 4s), I snagged myself a GT7 on eBay this weekend!

I figure I should have at least one low B on hand, just in case, and then thought why the hell not just spring for 7 =0)

I'm a 4-banger 99.9999% of the time though. When I've owned fives it wasn't a hard transition, I just keep returning to 4.
  10. Don't_Fret

Don't_Fret Justin Schornstein

Dec 10, 2003
    East Coast, US
    Damn, Dave, you're a madman.
  11. jammadave

jammadave Rudderless ship Supporting Member

Oct 15, 2003
    Wash DC metro area
    no, no, I'm not mad, I swear, uhh, five basses is enough. maybe six.

I think I "need" to have one fretted 4 and one fretless on hand, that's where the warwicks will come in - the main basses I'll probably use all the time.

One extended-range, just for fun, that's the GT7.

As for the original two, my Blackbird and Curbow, they'll serve other purposes once I get my Thumbs. The Blackbird is just plain cool to have around, and the Curbow is cheap and small, I'll probably use that one for travel or something. I was going to keep the curbow as my main fretted bass, but that blonde Thumb seduced me.

(oh, number six would be like a flying V short-scale just for the fun of it)

Anyways, back on topic, I suppose my advice to bassable would likely be "get out there and play that aircraft carrier of a 5-6-or 7-string if you like for all it's worth, and see where your comfort level changes." For me, I can play 5 but not 6, and people say that the GT7 is easier to play than most 6es. That's why I'm itchin for it.
  12. I went from an old Ibanez 4 to an OLP 5 to a Cirrus 6 in the span of 3 months. I'd probably still be playing the Ibanez if it hadn't been F***ed up by the local Sam A** setup guy!!! It actually took me a couple of days on each bass to adjust.Considering the differences in scale and spacing I think I'm doing alright.
    In order to save time and money my new recomended beginner bass, a Cirrus 6!!!