Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

4 x 10"s or 2 x 12"s ?

Discussion in 'Amps, Mics & Pickups [DB]' started by Nuno A., Feb 12, 2004.

1. Nuno A.

Nuno A. Velvet Strings Customer Service

Jul 9, 2001
    SWITZERLAND
    What do you guys think it would be the best? I guess i can have a pretty good deal on Aguilar, but i have to choose between one of these 2 models, and of course , to make things harder i wont have the chance to try them, so any input is welcome, not only for the aguilar models, but for the configuration in general.
    I will need volume, loud blues, jazz combo( not stupid loud ).
    Time is coming and i just cant make up my mind
    thanks in advance.

2. anonymous0726

anonymous0726 Guest

Nov 4, 2001
    For DB I would suggest 12" speakers in a smaller cabinet. BG cabinets are large and deep, especially these days, and it's hard to get a clear sound. 10" speakers are nasal for my tastes. I've heard multi 8" cabs sound good, but I would guess that volume might be an issue there. I play through a single 10" Hevos cab with a tweeter, WW amp, Realist pickup. In about 1/2 the rooms I play I can get a decent sound.

In my experience, 4x10 cabs sound absolutely awful for DB.

3. anonymous0726

anonymous0726 Guest

Nov 4, 2001
    oh --

Ampeg is making a 1x12 bass cabinet now that is superlightweight due to some polymer magnets or something. Single 12 with tweeter. I heard this played with a ply bass, Realist, and Clarus amp. It sounded amazing, and a 200W cab weighing in at about 20lbs can't be beat for portability. I think they are about $500 US.

4. Nuno A.

Jul 9, 2001
    SWITZERLAND
    Thanks a lot Ray, and by the way, welcome back man, i still remember when you and Ed used to hang around here.. ;)
    Anyway, i already saw that Ampeg 1 x 12" , i guess it belongs to the Portabass series, i was just thinking about 2 x 12" since they will move more air...

5. anonymous0726

anonymous0726 Guest

Nov 4, 2001
    Thanks for the welcome!

I think it depends on your amp (to some degree) and the pickup that you're using. With the Realist you'll likely have to lay the bass on the floor and hug (hump?) it to stop it from feeding back before you use up a good 12" cabinet.

6. Nuno A.

Jul 9, 2001
    SWITZERLAND
    I will be using the Gallien Krueger 400RB III and the pickup is either an Underwood ot the Schertler Stat B, the schertler sounds better with some amps, but the underwood sounds better with others...man, using just a 1 x 12" would be better for portability, its just that volume/air thing... i wil have to shoot in the dark i guess....

7. I am planning on getting an avatar compact 112 cab. lightweight high power handling. Looks like a great deal. read nothing like great reviews. :bassist: