Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

410 cabinets

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Steve S, Mar 28, 2005.

1. Steve S

Steve S

Jul 26, 2000
    I'm interested in a 410 cabinet, especially one with punch and power. Would it be the better way to go with a new Avatar 410 or a used Ampeg, Eden or other more expensive brand? The cost is around the same....

2. Sutton

Sutton

Mar 3, 2005
    Plainwell, MI
    Personally, I'd go with the Avatar

You never know what you're getting when you buy used, and the Avatar is probably the best deal you can get on a new amp

3. If you can afford it, EBS 410, or look 2nd hand, best cabs I have ever played

4. Aenema

Aenema

Apr 18, 2001
    Michigan
    cant go wrong with buying new. especially avatar. dave will take care of you and i think you will be surprised at how good the avatars actually sound. on the other hand, used high end gear generally lasts years without any problems. i would say either way you should be ok but just remember when buying ANYTHING used its always a bit of a gamble. ;)

5. Washishimi

Washishimi Supporting Member

Feb 26, 2005
    New York
    Schroeder 410. It's all you will ever need.

6. Plain Old Me

Plain Old Me

Dec 14, 2004
    Look for a used Gol III. SWR has tons of punch, and I've seen a few of these laying around in the past few months.

7. pdxmar

pdxmar

Feb 13, 2005
    Try the Genz benz 410 XB. All the cabinet you will ever need.

8. illidian

illidian

Jul 2, 2004
    I'd bet that the LS410T holds its own compared to the Avatar NEO or DELTA cabs. And it compromises the weight between the two cabs (slightly heavier than the NEO, but lighter than the DELTA).

I'd put my LS210T against Avatar's 2x10 NEO or DELTA cabs, and even a Kappa Pro. It's got punch and clarity, and cuts through the mix very well. Downside is the power handling (200 watts RMS), but with the conservation of Genz Benz, I wouldn't worry about putting much more into it.

There's a brand new LS410T going on Ebay for $349. I don't think you could go wrong with it.

9. buffordbass

buffordbass

Nov 11, 2004
    Dallas
    Endorsing Artist: Genz Benz Amps, Lakland Basses
    Cant go wrong with a new Avatar... and keep the rest of your money for other toys......

10. Pickebass

Pickebass Supporting Member

Jul 12, 2004
    San Antonio, TX
    new...definitely avatar... used for punch can't beat an Eden 410xlt... smoothness probably an SWR Goliath

11. Nedmundo

Nedmundo Supporting Member

Jan 7, 2005
    Philadelphia
    I've played lots through an Avatar B210, so extrapolating from that I would think the 410s would be very nice, and they're a true bargain. The B210 has sort of a vintage sound.

If you want a more modern sound with huge punch, clarity, and power handling, the SWR Goliath III is a great choice. With the tweeter turned off, it gets a more vintage vibe. It's very efficient, and can easily get to club gig levels with my 225 watt (@ 8 ohms) GK 700RB. (That's not as easy with Ampegs, which are typically much less efficient.) If you want more headroom from your amp, look for a 4 ohm version. It's also built like a tank. It has relatively compact dimensions for a 4x10". The only downside is weight -- 89 lbs. -- but that's not unusual for a non-neo 4x10.

Good used ones are in the $550-600 range.

Edens are really nice too. I would describe their sound as warmer and thus more "vintage" than SWR.

12. Steve S

Steve S

Jul 26, 2000
    Thank you all for your suggestions....I've learned a lot about the 410 and what kinds I need to look at for efficiency and cost. Thanks again!

13. lo-freq

lo-freq aka UFO

Jan 19, 2003
    The Republic of Texas
    JMO, but if you play a BEADG five string, you might want something with more solid low end than the Avatar 410 -- the Avatar B212 would probably work just not as punchy as a good 410.

I would probably look for a good 2nd hand cab. You might also consider two 2x10 cabs as well.

Aguilar's GS series are pretty good sounding and can be found reasonably priced 2nd hand -- a GS410 or two GS210.
    The GS112 and GS210 sound very good together as well.
    If you just need stage volume, the Bag End D10BX-D is a very good sounding cab (4ohm only though, so two of them would either require a 2 chnl. amp or one that can drive a 2ohm load -- unless you wire them connected in series). Two of them with adequate amp power would handle most clubs without PA support.