Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

414MKII (Recording problems)...

Discussion in 'Recording Gear and Equipment [BG]' started by Knavery, Jun 29, 2005.

1. Knavery

Knavery

Feb 24, 2004
    Denver, CO
    Hello,
    I have the Tascam 414MKII which I've had for quite a few years. I've recently joined some friends in a band and would like to lay some new stuff down.

However, when I try to record with this device, it doesn't work properly. I just get a strange thump, thump, thump on playback. Now, I don't have the original adapter. My buddy called GC and asked them about this, and they flat out told him that Tascam products will not work unless you use their adapters.

I know the thing works, and I had just purchased new tapes for it, but before I purchase an expensive proprietery adapter from Tascam, I want to be sure that that is the problem.

Has anyone else run into this? Thanks in advance for the feedback.

2. As long as the adaptor supplies the correct voltage and can meet the current requirement-and if DC, is the correct polarity--it doesn't have to be the proprietary adaptor.

I will look when I get home tonight and see what mine is rated (I do have the 414 mkii). I don't recall it being anything special.

3. 12 v DC

650 mA

Outer part of plug is positive.

Any AC adaptor meeting these spec's should work.