1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

4ohm head to a 6ohm cab

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Precision345, Mar 19, 2013.

1. Precision345

Precision345

Feb 19, 2013
    Hi,

I know this has been thread'd to death and I'm sorry but can I run a 6ohm cabinet with a 4ohm head or will it damage the cab?

:hyper:

2. basscooker

basscooker Commercial User

Apr 11, 2010
    cincy ky
    Owner, Chopshopamps.com
    your cab wouldn't care. most solid state amps wouldn't care either. a tube amp might care alot. more details, please. the biggest concern is with dropping the amp below its minimum. but a tube amp wants you to set it for the matching ohms, so i can't say what a tube amp set at 4 ohms would think. probably not recommended.

3. Yes you can and no it won't damage either by load impedance alone.

4. BTW the cab "loads" the amp.

5. basscooker

basscooker Commercial User

Apr 11, 2010
    cincy ky
    Owner, Chopshopamps.com
    what amp and cab? just for posterity.

hey, b-string, what about a tube amp set for 4 ohm? i'm curious about that.
    btw are there 6 ohm cabs around?

6. Precision345

Precision345

Feb 19, 2013
    thanks for the input guys

The cabinet is a Sunn 610L cabinet and the head is a Traynor Dynabass 400h

7. First understand a speaker's impedance is not a fixed value. The impedance should be preceded by "nominal".
    While I would not recommend running a 8 ohm nominal load on a 4 ohm tap, the 6 ohm nominal is not that far off on the plate load curve and is probably actually less than a 6 ohm nominal unless some very special winding driver's were spec'd for that one cab line.

8. Precision345

Precision345

Feb 19, 2013
    Ok, I get what your saying. Thanks for your wisdom B-string!

9. 4 ohm minimum head with a 6 ohm cab = Perfectly fine

10. Munjibunga

Munjibunga Total Hyper-Elite Member Gold Supporting Member

May 6, 2000
    San Diego (when not at Groom Lake)
    Independent Contractor to Bass San Diego
    As long as we're talking solid state or hybrid, no problem.

11. Precision345

Precision345

Feb 19, 2013
    Yes, the traynor dynabass head is hybrid so should be just fine?

12. No issues, except you might lose just a little wattage. Probably not enough to notice.

13. DiabolusInMusic

DiabolusInMusic Functionless Art is Merely Tolerated Vandalism Supporting Member

SS head will run it just fine. A tube power amp will run it just fine but it will eventually blow a power tube, not an if but a when.

And yes, there are 6 ohm cabs around, I have only seen 610's in 6 ohm but I imagine there are more. My old Markbass 610 was 6 ohm and I used to run it with an SVT-CL.

OP the dynabass is SS, so it will be fine. The dynabass might have pre-amp tubes but it is definitely not a tube amp.

14. BassburyAC

BassburyAC

Jun 11, 2016
    Christ thank you all. Literally been losing what little hair I have left searching for answers. Attempted a crash course in electronics a few times today and this has saved me a ballache.

Trying to figure out where to go with my Hartke Kilo, looking for a bigger cab as opposed to a 410 or my current 2 x 210 (which im 99% sure ive blown one of, it has also been suggested as the crossover but thats well out of my league.)