1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

4x10 cab out of phase

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Rhon, Aug 9, 2012.

1. Rhon

Rhon

Jan 2, 2012
    my 4x10 cab blew a speaker and i did the battery test, when i did this i noticed the top speakers pushed out and the bottom speakers pushed in. The wiring was done by the manufacture and i never messed with the wiring once. is this normal or does this mean the manufacturer wired the cab out of phase?

2. will33

will33

May 22, 2006
    austin,tx
    Out of polarity, yes. What's the order of events here? Meaning the cab had to opened to change speakers.

Anyway, make the wiring look like this....

[​IMG]

You buy this new or used? You'll notice out of polarity as being a really weak, anemic sound. It cancels a lot of your sound.

3. christw

christw Get low!

May 11, 2008
    Dayton OH
    I want to be Tesla (tinkerer at Dayton Amp Co)
    I bought an as-new and I presume factory SVT-CL and 610HLF before and two of the six speakers were out of phase. I always check now. :p

4. Rocker59801

Rocker59801

Mar 22, 2012
    That is probably why you blew a speaker also. You would have to crank it.

5. Rhon

Rhon

Jan 2, 2012
    so cab companies release speakers out of phase? the order of events was that i bought a brand new floor model cab and i noticed the speaker was blown so i took the grill off and did the battery test and noticed the top speakers went out and the bottom speakers went in and then i took the cab to guitar center because of my pro coverage. i was just wondering is this normal? the cab was very loud and didn't sound out of phase to me

6. will33

will33

May 22, 2006
    austin,tx
    No, it's not normal, and probably is what blew it. Sometimes something slips through....maybe it was built on a monday. Maybe because it's a floor model, it was beat on, blown, and whoever replaced some speakers or checked it out at the store messed up the wiring. Anyway, do the battery test again when you get it back, make sure they all move in and out together.