1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

5/8 double bass

Discussion in 'Basses [DB]' started by klystephen, Apr 8, 2009.

1. klystephen

klystephen

Oct 31, 2006
    I am looking for some strings shops or luthier selling 5/8 double bass. Anyone can tell me where I can find such basses? Thank you very much.

2. Bass Barrister

Bass Barrister

Nov 4, 2004
    Chicago
    If you complete your profile and tell us where you are located, it will be easier to provide information that is of practical use to you.

I just played a very nice 5/8th size DB at a shop in Chicago. Another luthier here told me that he's seen two that, in his opinion, are listed as 5/8ths but sound bigger. I have not seen these.

BTW: I have an entry-level fully carved 5/8ths (with a 40" string length) for sale on the TBDB classified, below.

Nahmann Bass in MA often has these on their web-site, as does Lemur in CA. Arnold Schnitzer in NY has/had one (very nice) that is on his site.

You may be aware that bass sizes are not standard - a 5/8ths size could be a large 1/2 or a small 3/4. Typically, they will have a string length of 38"-40". You won't see one every day but they can be found with some patience.

I hope this helps.

3. bassist14

bassist14

Oct 17, 2005
    Germany
  4. drurb

drurb Oracle, Ancient Order of Rass Hattur; Mem. #1, EPC

Apr 17, 2004
    Why a 5/8? Would you give us more insight into why you are looking for one? As you may know, DB sizes are hardly standardized.

5. klystephen

klystephen

Oct 31, 2006

Actually, this is for my student. She has a small hand and 3/4 seems too big for her. I found the HORA in Romania has such basses but they told me they had stopped making this size. Well, I just looking for a student model for her with a budget around US$3,000. Any good suggestion? Thank you very much.

6. klystephen

klystephen

Oct 31, 2006

I am living in Hong Kong and I am searching it for my student. The budget is around US$3,000-3,500. Thank you very much.

7. glivanos

glivanos Supporting Member

Jun 24, 2005
    Philadelphia Area
    You have a PM

8. Silly_Bassist

Silly_Bassist

Jun 5, 2009
    Lynnwood
    I have the same problem too! My hands are too small to play a 3/4 with ease.

My only other problem is that I refuse to let go of the idea of playing a 3/4. Hopefully a 5/8 will be a solution to both problems.