5 String for $300-$500?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Peeved T-40, Mar 14, 2021.

1. Peeved T-40

Peeved T-40

Jan 12, 2021
    Is there a good quality 5 string bass that could be had for between $300-$500?

I've been looking at these so far:
    Yamaha TRBX350
    Ibanez SR405EQM
    Jackson JS3QV
    Schecter Stiletto Stealth 5

If anyone has any opinions on any of these or has suggestions for some used basses to look into instead, I'd love to hear them!

Lukasonbass and Rodney Fritz like this.
  2. Reedt2000

Reedt2000 Supporting Member

Apr 26, 2017
    Central New Jersey
    The Sterling By Musicman SUB basses are not bad at all for the price. Some of the step up Sterling models show up used around $500, same is true of the G&L Tribute series. Both very solid options and ones I'd go for over the ones in your list. Not that any of those are bad options, just not my cup of tea :D

3. Peeved T-40

Peeved T-40

Jan 12, 2021
    just out of curiosity, what don’t you like about the ones on my list?

4. bholder

bholder Affable Sociopath Gold Supporting Member Supporting Member

Sep 2, 2001
    Vestal, NY
    Received a gift from Sire* (see sig)
    The Sire M2 is around $450 new.

5. el jeffe bass

el jeffe bass

Nov 22, 2013
    New Mexico
    If the choice were mine it would definitely be the Yamaha TRBX.

6. Peeved T-40

Peeved T-40

Jan 12, 2021
    How come? and would the Yamaha be your choice in general or just off my list?

el jeffe bass likes this.
  7. brushfirewolf

brushfirewolf

Nov 12, 2016
    Maryland
    I’d also go for the SBMM Ray5.

The Yamaha and Ibanez are good options in this price range too, just not my personal preference.

Reedt2000 likes this.
  8. BBassBassington

BBassBassington

May 6, 2018
    Ontario
    My current stable:
    20210224_230852.jpg

tl;dr Jackson

The Ray5 plays fantastic and sounds like a less clanky Stingray. The Jackson is incredibly comfortable. It's my best playing bass and the one I would choose 9/10 times for a long gig or practice. It's got every feature you can cram into a bass basically, and I like that it both looks better then the Yamaha and has a 3-band EQ vs. 2-band + funky switch.

I've not gotten to play a G&L or a Yamaha but I would seriously consider them, especially if I could play them first.

I used to own an Ibanez SR300E, which is like the base model of the one on your list. Great bass, very much like a 34" version of the Jackson. These basses are very similar though, so I'd pick whichever of the two I liked the look of best or got the best deal on or some combo of both.

I haven't played many Schecters but I've liked the ones I've played. Still I'm quite happy with my choices and I wouldn't trade the Jackson for any on the list. The Ray5 I'd trade for a G&L or maybe Yamaha but that's mostly because I have the Dimension now.

spatters and PsyDocHill like this.
  9. Peeved T-40

Peeved T-40

Jan 12, 2021
    you the second person to say they're not your preference and I'm just curious why? Want to make sure I'm not missing something

10. Peeved T-40

Peeved T-40

Jan 12, 2021
    I haven't found many people talking about Schecters and even fewer talking about that one specifically. It's the pickup combo that caught my eye. Maybe I've been living under a rock but I haven't seen many P/Humbucker combos. Usually you just see PJs everywhere. It's really pushing the limit of my budget but it seemed interesting enough to look at.

what's your experience with the brand?

Big Shrek and BBassBassington like this.
  11. I played my Sub 5 at a gig today after using my EBMM Stingray Friday and Saturday and it sounds very good. 20210314_124257.jpg

12. Beej

Beej

Feb 10, 2007
    Vancouver Island
    Those are all solid brands and good instruments, so there isn't really something major that you're missing or taking a big risk on. Along with the various instruments listed by others, you have a wide variety of instruments that will all probably serve you well. At this point it's about nuanced things like numbers and configuration of pickups, design aesthetics, passive/active, etc. The world's your oyster! :thumbsup:

TrustRod and Rodney Fritz like this.
  13. Robot.G

Robot.G Suspended

Mar 12, 2015
    Michigan
    None
    I have four Schecters instruments and all of them are really great. I have two basses and two guitars. I got them all at clearance prices. I have a Schecter Riot 5 string bass that I paid just $252 for new and a DV-4 bass that I got for $350 new. I've always wanted to get a Stiletto and I've considered getting Stiletto Stealth 5 because the Riot and the DV-4 are a little uncomfortable playing seated but otherwise they are awesome. I wouldn't hesitate to try a Schecter.

14. Peeved T-40

Peeved T-40

Jan 12, 2021
    I've seen people complain about their pickups. any thoughts on that?

15. Robot.G

Robot.G Suspended

Mar 12, 2015
    Michigan
    None
    I've seen people complain about a lot of things. I'm curious about those complaints but I have none myself. Plus pickups are pretty easy to upgrade. I'm more concerned about setup and playability out of the box.

Rodney Fritz likes this.
  16. Peeved T-40

Peeved T-40

Jan 12, 2021
    most of the complaints i've seen have said that Schecters sound muddy and un-defined. Granted, I've only seen a few people complain. just thought I'd ask. Some one else said the bridge ripped out of the body on his. That one was probably just QA issue on his unit.

17. Robot.G

Robot.G Suspended

Mar 12, 2015
    Michigan
    None
    Look at the value of all of your potential options on the resale market. You might find a great deal and that might also steer you in the right direction.

Last edited: Mar 15, 2021
    Big Shrek likes this.
  18. ajkula66

ajkula66

Sep 23, 2016
    NEPA/RS
    Yamaha BB series - even the inexpensive ones - are well-built. They would probably be my first pick.

On the used market, older Peaveys such as Dyna and Forum are exceptional value for money, IMO/IME.

19. First off, good list. You aren't going to go wrong with any of these.
    I just got an Ibanez 405EQM and I love it. The balance is perfect despite being super light. The neck is super fast and comfortable. The B string has great punch and clarity and doesn't feel loose.

I played a Schector Elite-5 for a few months that I borrowed from a friend. It was a predecessor to the Stiletto Studio-5. You consistently see the Stiletto Studio-5 as one of the best in numerous reviews. However, I will say I prefer the sound and playability of the of the Ibanez over the Elite-5 (and that bass has a solid neck-thru-body). I thought the B string was a bit muddy on the Schector. That being said, I love my Schector Studio-4 and think it may be one of the best 4 strings I have ever played or owned.

I went with the 405EQM because of the single/humbucker/power tap option. This bass has a great tonal range. I only have one 5-string, so it had to check all the boxes. I primarily have played 4 string. But there are some really fun songs you can only play on a 5, so I can't live without my Ibby now! (He get's center stage because of the finish.) WALL-TO-WALL-BASS.jpg

BBassBassington likes this.
  20. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

May 16, 2022