Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

5 string songs

Discussion in 'General Instruction [BG]' started by still laughing, Jul 22, 2005.

1. still laughing

still laughing

Jul 11, 2005
    What are some songs, mainly in the rock/funk/or metal styles, that take advantage of a five string bass. A lot of the songs I learn are for four string and I feel bad wasting that low B.

2. Alvaro Martín Gómez A.

Alvaro Martín Gómez A. TalkBass' resident Bongo + cowbell player

Sorry that I'm not of so much help here. I just wanted to say that unfortunately you're not into the latin style called Dominican Merengue. The modern-style merengue (from circa 1995 to present) simply can't be played on a regular 4-string. I mean, you can do it, but will never sound as expected. This music's basslines heavily rely on the low B string.

3. still laughing

still laughing

Jul 11, 2005
    Can you give me a few songs or bands to look into? I can't say I've ever heard of this style much less have put much thought into it, but I'm always up for new things.

4. Alvaro Martín Gómez A.

I'm glad you're like that! Here I'm sending you a YouSendIt link with a sample recording of this genre, which isn't technically difficult, but authority is the key word for playing it. This is a bootleg live recording from a very popular dominican singer called Sergio Vargas, which I chose in spite of its not-so-good sound quality because the bass is very prominent there. I did some editing (you'll notice it at 0:30) because there's so much babbling from the singer to the audience like asking for help with singing and stuff like that. Besides, this is originally a 3-song medley, but I removed the third one because it's not very good to me (total time: 5:56). Hope you find it interesting. Let me know if you want further info. :)

Link:

http://s41.yousendit.com/d.aspx?id=3285ERJOMQQOX0NGAXBMDXA0TO

(It will expire in seven days)

5. still laughing

still laughing

Jul 11, 2005
    Although I gave it a listen, that's not really my style. Does anyone else have other bands/songs to look into that are on a five string but fit in more with the genres I talked about?

6. You should take a look at The Glass Prison by Dream Theater, it uses the low B a lot. Some parts are very hard though, good challenge.

7. 3 AM (Matchbox 20??) uses the low Eb so unless you want to retune your 4 string, the 5 is in order.

Another Brick In the Wall (Pink Floyd) uses the low D

But even if I don't necessarily use a note below the E, having the 5th string gives me the option of fingering in higher positions, for example Love Shack (B52's) gets really tiring done at the 1st fret, but not so bad on the 6th.

8. burntgorilla

burntgorilla

Jan 24, 2005
    Belfast
    What about transcribing some classical pieces?

9. metalguy2

metalguy2

Dec 26, 2004
    Boston
    I wonder if you can consider death metal type music to be 5 string songs.

10. WillPlay4Food

WillPlay4Food Now With More Metal! Staff Member Supporting Member

Apr 9, 2002
    Orbiting HQ
    What a great example. This is one of the first songs I worked on when I got my 5 string Spector.

11. TechZilla

TechZilla

Jun 18, 2005
    Owensboro, KY
    Never Again - Nickelback
    Whiskey in the Jar - Metallica Version
    Lie - Dream Theater
    Youth Gone Wild - Skid Row

I also agree with nashvillebill you can change things around a little bit and use your B instead of your E.

12. Matthew Bryson

Matthew Bryson Guest

Jul 30, 2001
    Primus!

13. p.o.d.

14. Xanadu

Xanadu

Jul 17, 2005
    american baby- dave mathews band

any power metal song, all those guys use the b string alot, like jag panzer, nevermore ect.

los lonely boys- he plays six, but usuallly is transcribed for 5 when ppl tab his songs

gasoline- audioslave

not my fav by far, but korn or limb bizkit use a 5 string bass i think :meh:

all i can think of right now, ill edit and post more later

15. 4x4Given

4x4Given

Jul 2, 2005
    Austin, TX
    Lot of SRV is in Eb. (personally, I can't imagine not having a 5 string)

16. Petary791

Petary791

Feb 20, 2005
    Michigan, USA
    "Shadow of the Sun" by Audioslave uses the B. It's in B minor.

Lots of Audioslave is in B seeing as Timmy C. tunes BEAD.

17. Some Tool, P.O.D, Korn (feildy, yuck), Metallica, Dream Theatre, Slipknot, Mudvayne (ryan martinie, hurrah!), Disturbed, Megadeath, Slayer (downtuned 4, but 5er works just as well)

18. Alvaro Martín Gómez A.

Problem here is that many of SRV tunes, as with many rock guitarists like Van Halen or Ace Frehley, are in that key because they down-tune their guitars. They are really playing in the key of E (tuning the guitar to standard tuning). If your guitarist does the same, no problem. But if he/she plays with standard tuning, it may be "problematic" to play some of those tunes in the key of Eb instead of E natural. I mention this because your suggestion automatically brought to my mind "Scuttle Buttin' ", one of the coolest tunes in SRV's catalog (to me). This song is a great example of that situation. I know how that catchy riff is played and it relies on open strings. Transposing it a half step down may be complicated if your guitarist wants to keep the original sonority of the riff. Of course, Tommy Shannon's 4-string bass is also down-tuned.

19. BassGod

BassGod

Jan 21, 2004
    If you like metal, In Flames will make excellent use of your B string. Peter Iwers, their bassist, uses a sixer, but you can pull of most of their songs with a five I'm sure.

Graeme