1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

5 string Squier?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Day old blues17, Dec 6, 2011.

1. Day old blues17

Day old blues17

Dec 6, 2011
    Hey guys,
    Im new to this forum, and was looking for some advice on a bass which I stumbled across.
    I have been playing for about 3-4 years, I currently own a westfield b1000 (not the greatest brand but hey :D) and a dean electro acoustic bass (both 4 string).
    Anyway, i stumbled across this 5 string squier on the net, its pre-owned, and I just wanted your views on what you thin k of it? Maybe what you think of 5 string basses? And whether you think adapting will be tough?
    Thank you :)
    Here is the link: http://www.guitarguitar.co.uk/preowned_guitars_detail.asp?stock=px-KT174NY58

2. Nightsun

Nightsun

Dec 22, 2006
    Essex, UK
    You can get a new Affinity 5 for £200 from here , not on the site but I bought one in store at the weekend. Damn fine bass for the money.

As for adapting, I'm primarily a 4 string player, this is my first 5 string. In store I didn't find it an issue, the string spacing is good and I just have to remember I have the extra string. will be jamming it next week so will have a better idea then.

3. khutch

khutch Praise Harp

Aug 20, 2011
    suburban Chicago
    There are a number of people here who are quite fond of the Squier 5 string P so it is well worth considering. Personally for me, and many others as well, I find that 5 strings are much more of a try before buy proposition than 4 strings. I can play just about any 4 but I am in the process of choosing a 5 to try and I find that some I like, some I don't. The first "Fender" 5 that I tried was a Squier VM Jazz V and I just cannot find anything to like about how it plays. So I wrote Fender off, thinking that it was going to be a brand thing. Peavey V's I like. Ibanez V's I like. Then recently I was in a store that happened to have a Squier Deluxe Active Jazz V and just for grins I tried it, secure in the knowledge that I would hate it. Not so! It's one of the best 5's that I have played. So if you possibly can, try before you buy.

Ken

4. Aussie Player

Aussie Player

Apr 20, 2011
    The Squier Affinity 5 is the best value and best sounding bass I have played in a long time. I had a MIA Jazz 5 and bought the Squier for back up, but is was actually better to play, had louder and clearer pick ups that the MIA and the growl is non comparible. Possibly even more growl that my Warwick Thumb bass.

I fitted SIT half rounds and lowered the action then set the intonation and it is wonderful.

5. rumblethump

rumblethump Supporting Member

Mar 25, 2000
    Pioneer CA. 95666
    Once you understand that there are 2 octaves without having to move your hand position and use the new low notes sparingly you will be on your way.

6. I got a 5-string MIM Jazz awhile ago and hardly touch it...It's an ok bass don't get me wrong, but I'm more of a 4-string guy - I felt I should have a 5-string though simply because its one of those "must haves" even if you don't use it much (the string spacing is strange in comparison to a 4 - those couple of millimetres difference REALLY make it feel wierd if your not used to it and play fingerstyle IME...)

7. I've had one of those in shoreline gold for eight years, it was my first bass and it it my main player to this day. I'd honestly go for for it because they are great wee basses. Theres been some commotion in the past with either a weak B string or G string but mine is completely perfect. Every once and a while i have to tighten a screw or whatever but that's about it. Theres actually a thread with alot of people digging them somewhere. Dont expect it to sound like a pure bred precision though because that's not what she is! Oh, and mine really loves distortion if thats any use to ye!

8. hrodbert696

hrodbert696 Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

I ran across one of these a while ago. There are definitely people who like them. It's a very wide, flat fretboard, I remember somebody compare it to having a bass with an ironing board for a neck. Decided it wasn't for me.

9. I bought a Squier MB-5 recently for a modification project. It's more of a J-bass (without the pickguards). The neck is a beast, but it's my first five-string, so I need to adjust to it, I think.

10. Yeah, the board on it is massive. Land a plane on that thing!

11. Day old blues17

Day old blues17

Dec 6, 2011
    Thanks guys for the help thus far, with regards to sound and all, I imagine it will sound better than the Westfield I own now - not that there's anything wrong with my Westfield, i love it, especially for the price haha.
    Yeah thats one thing I was unsure about, the size of the neck, but I thought maybe the extra string might push me to try a few more new things, its easy to hit a plateau and get comfy there haha.
    I also considered an epiphone thunderbird (£220), and maybe a 4 string squier (£170). My budget isn't too high to be honest,but if there is anything not too pricey you guys know of that you think is worth mentioning I appreciate it :)
    Thanks

12. hrodbert696

hrodbert696 Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

It depends on what you want. The Squier P 5er does have the huge wide neck. The con is that there's a lot of neck to have to stretch your fingers around, the pro is that there's big wide string spacing if that's your style. Like I said, it wasn't for me, but there are those that love it.

I don't know what the cost in the UK, but Yamaha would be something to think about - a BB425 new or, for cheaper, find a used BB415. I love mine, great all-purpose fiver, and it's P/J so you can get something approximating P-bass tone if that's what you're looking for. I was originally looking at the Squier P 5 because I wanted an affordable P bass with 5 strings, and the Fenders etc. were all out of my price range at $1000+. The Yamaha turned out to be the perfect fit for what I wanted.

13. Roy Vogt

Roy Vogt

Sep 20, 2000
    Nashville,TN
    Endorsing Artist: Kiesel, Carvin, Accuracy, Hotwire, Conklin Basses, DNA, Eden
    I've known a number of touring Pros who've used these as their 2nd bass for "fly dates" or to leave at the venue, etc. Not a bad value for the money, especially if you want the traditional Jazz Bass sound. I like the way the necks feel.

14. DSBass

DSBass

Nov 14, 2008
    Stockholm, Sweden
    I have had an older Squier Special 5 and it was a really great bass. Good tone. The only thing that made me get rid of it was that the neck was to wide for me. I have pretty short fingers.
    I also got the chance to trade it and my old line 6 bass pod PRO against a Spector. The Spector of course playing in another division. But the Squier was a great bass. I concider getting a Squier jazz some time too.