51 precision bass for punk?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by ghostjs, Aug 30, 2009.

1. ghostjs

Aug 14, 2008
    Unofficially Endorsing: D'Addario, Lakland
    yeah so i tried a search but was unfruitful... i love the looks of the 51 pbass but im not sure how good of a punk tone you can get... and i dont really like the rosewood on the mike dirnt models...
  2. snyderz

Aug 20, 2000
    AZ mountains
    Any bass can play any thing.
  3. ghostjs

Aug 14, 2008
    Unofficially Endorsing: D'Addario, Lakland
    well for the most part, but im saying i like the tone out of a modern p bass but i love the looks of the 51...
  4. Mike Dirnt signature bass...

5. EricF

EricF Habitual User

Sep 26, 2005
    Pasadena, CA
    Try reading the first post again. ;)
  6. Sharko

Jun 18, 2009
    Washington, DC
  7. TrevorOfDoom

TrevorOfDoom Supporting Member

Jun 17, 2007
    Austin, TX
    have you played one? they sound great, and feel great, but neither the sound nor the playability may be for you.

go play one. then you can tell us whether you think they're good for punk.
  8. DAH!...

That was so lame...

9. Holy War

Holy War

Sep 18, 2008
    VA Beach
    I hate the "any bass can play anything," responces just as much as the next guy, but in the world of punk rock, just grab whatever the hell is layin around and pound the ever living crap out of it
  10. Chris1980

May 11, 2009
    I don't think it's very punk to try to find the right bass for punk. If it's really punk, wouln't you just make music with whatever you had? Isn't that what Mike Dirnt did?
  11. I play a 51 reissue bass in my punk band. The stock basses can be bright and growly. But I recently switched the ash body for an alder one by Warmoth, and the stock pickup for a Seymour Duncan Quarter Pounder.
  12. i think ur better off with the standard split pickup precision man,i feel like the single coil just wouldnt cut it ,but hey with the right eq u can make anything sound good
  13. well if you want to get technical, the whole punk genre isn't punk. Punk isn't punk, because you have to try to be punk, and by trying you forego the whole point of punk (not giving a flying fudge).

Back on topic. I think it'd be fine for punk, the sound's in the player. Also for the most part a punk show goes on stage presence, not sound.

If you like the bass, it'll work.
  14. your idol

your idol

Oct 13, 2008
    Columbus, OH
    get a maple neck..i found for punk rock maple is great smooth fast and punchy but the dirnt idea with the modern P pickup is much more suitable for punk tone...get a sting bass put a piece of electric tape over the 12th fret and route it for a modern p pickup..blammo best of both worlds
  15. I had a Dirnt bass with a Sting neck on it, amazing bass. I do regret selling it.
  16. Holy War

Holy War

Sep 18, 2008
    VA Beach
    you see, now youre trying too hard
  17. your idol

your idol

Oct 13, 2008
    Columbus, OH
    with punk its all about attack, but maple neck Ps just seem to do well, or Stingrays but thats a lil new school for my taste
  18. Matt Dean

Matt Dean Supporting Member

Jan 2, 2007
    SF (North) Bay Area
    +1... I played in what would be called punk bands in the late 70s/early 80s and I never thought about what was a punk bass... I played fender jazz basses and G&L cause I thought they sounded good.
  19. LCW

LCW Banned

Mar 2, 2009
    Punk get a MIM bass at a pawn shop add what ever stickers people give you and might as well rip the tone pot out.