1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

'51 Reissue vs. Schecter 004

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by KSwiss10, Apr 12, 2009.

1. I have a friend who is offering to trade me his '51 reissue for my Schecter 004. I am definitely leaning towards doing it but just wanted some counsel from those far smarter than me. I have been GASing for a '51 reissue for a looooong time. Do you think I'd be making a bad decision to trade? I love the sound of Merlo Podlewski who is the bassist for Jack Johnson and I know he plays a P-Bass. Do you think I could get a similar tone out of the Reissue?

HAPPY EASTER

2. rapturebass

rapturebass

Dec 6, 2008
    Connecticut
    I personally think that though you like the 51 sound, you shouldn't trade. Schecters are quirky, original designs, and fenders are so boring run of the mill.

3. bobba66

bobba66

May 18, 2006
    Arlington, Texas
    Unless you really love the 004 I'd trade it. Tough to beat the timeless feel and sound of the P-Bass.

4. J. Crawford

J. Crawford Supporting Member

Feb 15, 2008
    OH/WV
    :spit:

Fenders are run of the mill, but still top dog. Must be doing something right. Until you have owned a Fender, keep the exprience opinions to a minimum.

Fenders are amazing instruments. The '51 slab is a great bass. You can get Sting tones, and with flatwounds have some major thump.

Im all for it.

5. vbsurfer3001

vbsurfer3001

Jul 25, 2005
    VB,VA
    I love mine, it just "fits" :)

6. If the Schecter is not your cup of tea, trade it.

7. vicvon

vicvon

Dec 13, 2008
    I love my 004, so I would have to say no. It plays so much better than my P and I can get good tones with both.

8. StrungGutz

StrungGutz Banned

Apr 6, 2009
    Hell yes! But that's just me. I'm so use to Fender necks by now. Have you played one yet? If you are use to a slimmer neck, the '51 will take some getting use to.

9. thirtypoint87

thirtypoint87

Feb 9, 2004
    Manager/Repairman: Music-Go-Round
    I like the look and vibe of the '51, but found the one I played in a music store to be thin and tinny sounding (compared to a split coil P-bass, it had very little low end) and not as much fun to play with it's baseball bat neck.

I was p*ssed! I wanted to love it, but I just couldn't.....

10. Go for it. The '51 is a really great bass!

11. Thanks for the all the input. I have played a new MIM P at guitar center but not the 51. I like the wider neck as I don't have small hands and like wider string spacing. I'm pretty set on trading unless I play his and for some reason just hate it. Thanks again.

12. rllefebv

rllefebv

Oct 17, 2000
    Newberg, Oregon
    This is odd... I'm not disputing your experience, but 'thin and tinny' is not even an option with either my totally stock '51 RI, or my bastard clone that I am putting together... In fact, 'girth' is the first word that comes to mind when I think of descriptions... Been gigging it solid for two years and haven't been disappointed... That's not to say that there's not some turds out there, but of the many I have played, I've seen nary a one...

To the OP, go for it...

-robert

-- PS -- For the record, I am talking about the CIJ re-issue and not the latest Squier 'vibe' basses in LPB, though I've heard nothing but praise for them either... I can attest to the fact that the Squier pickup gets the girth... It's what I'm using in my 'bastard' and is certainly a pleasant surprise, (as are many of the latest Squier offerings!)

-r

13. dvh

dvh Supporting Member

Sep 1, 2006
    Halifax, Nova Scotia
    I love my 51. Keep in mind it is not your standard P bass. The pickups are very different (single coil vs. split coil).

The neck is likely fatter than your Schecter but 'baseball bat' is an exaggeration.

Single pup, volume, tone, it might not have the versatility of your Schecter (but, it's all in the hands!)

It's such a personal decision. But, you can't go wrong with the 51 IMHO.