5ths tuning curious

Discussion in 'Setup & Repair [DB]' started by Cmmcm12345, Sep 25, 2021.

1. I have been a fourths-tuning guy for many years. My teacher and my grand-teacher tune in fifths, so I am very interested in taking that plunge too, although it has never been pushed on to me. Just wondering about any changes to the setup that may be needed…I know how to change my own strings, is it just a simple change
    Of strings, or is a trip to a luthier required as well?

2. AGCurry

AGCurry Supporting Member

Jun 29, 2005
    St. Louis
    I would just go ahead and do it. Visit the luthier if and only if there are related problems. What's the worst that could happen?

3. Sam Sherry

Sam Sherry Inadvertent Microtonalist Supporting Member

Sep 26, 2001
    Portland, ME
    It's a simple change of strings unless you need to enlarge a nut slot.

Or, as always, unless your soundpost falls down.

All the best with your quest!

4. bpclark

bpclark

Apr 30, 2003
    West Central, OH
    I tried 5ths tuning with both the Spirocore Red Mitchell set and and Dominants. No problems except the C was a tight fit in the tailpiece (especially the Dominant). It did all work without a visit to the luthier. Also, I found that I had to raise the bridge a fair amount as the C would buzz against the fingerboard much more easily than the E. I have since changed back to 4ths although may switch back again since I am missing extended range.

5. bigmatteo

bigmatteo

Aug 28, 2007
    milano italy
    Hi to all
    one week ago, i switch in fifth one of my bass, i recomend to put on a new bridge and upper nut,
    i need to finish to bring in tune my strings, now i play two tone down of regular CGDA tuning. but the first thing that i see is a more broad vibration on the c string, i use the Pirastro Obligato 441090 set on my bass, and work fine with bow.

I recomend a new upper nut becausethe string in fifth have different diameter compared to a fourth set.

On my bass also reshape the fingerboard a bit, change the bridge, because i bought this bass to play it in fifth, in both bow and pizz situation !

happy playing

Matteo

6. I took the plunge, and got and installed a set of Obligatos. It was a tight fit doe the low C in the tailpiece, but nothing major. So far, I am in love... the tone, resonance and the feel. Now, to reprogram my left had and brain after 32 years of playing and thinking in fourths...

7. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Nov 27, 2021