1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

6 months...its time for a teacher...

Discussion in 'General Instruction [BG]' started by Hathor, Apr 23, 2017.

Tags:
  1. Hathor

Hathor

Apr 22, 2017
    South Florida
    So...6 months in...play everyday...but tabs and friends...im not getting better...i need to improve. Fast. Ideas? Suggestions?

2. Yonni

Yonni

Oct 31, 2016
    Scotland
    I've been playing about a year and have had lessons once or twice a month for 11 months of that time. I have 2 small kids a full time job and am studying for my masters part time so practice is limited. My point is that 6 months self study could mean you are already better than someone who has a teacher. It all depends on you and how much you put into it. I would say a teacher will fill in the gaps in your learning and I would recommend it. The 1:1 feedback on technique alone is worth it. But, and it is a big but (and I cannot lie ;) from what most have said to me (especially on here) is that playing with others will raise your game faster than anything else. The question is do you feel you are making enough progress with what you have been doing so far? It's never too early or too late to get a teacher.

Spidey2112 likes this.
  3. pcake

pcake Supporting Member

Sep 20, 2011
    Los Angeleez
    try the free lessons from scott's bass lessons
    BEGINNERS - YouTube

there are also recommendations for several other free online bass lessons plus some paid lessons - just search the board to find the ones people are getting good results with.

Bioflava, Spidey2112 and Hathor like this.
  4. fearceol

fearceol

Nov 14, 2006
    Ireland
    First suggestion...slow down and have patience. ;) Six months is no time at all to be playing. What's the hurry ? Learning an instrument to the best of your ability is a life long journey. So relax and enjoy. Don't get too hung up on your progress. It's akin to trying to monitor the growth of your hair. You don't notice anything for a long time, then one morning you look in the mirror and realise you need a haircut. :woot:

As for ideas : Yes, a teacher would be the best idea. Tutorial sites that I'd recommend are : www.talkingbass.net and www.studybass.com

A good book (I'd recommend getting the three volume spiral edition) is :
    Hal Leonard Bass Method - Complete Edition: Books 1, 2 and 3 Bound Together in One Easy-to-Use Volume!: Ed Friedland: 0073999950748: Amazon.com: Books

Some more suggestions...avoid tabs. They are a crutch. Instead, develop your ear by working out bass lines to songs yourself using trial and error. IMO, this is one of the single most beneficial things you can do. Continue to jam with your friends. Don't neglect technique. Using safe technique will contribute to you having many enjoyable and injury free years of playing.

Also check out the "How To Get Started" sticky at the top of the forum.

Best of luck with it. :bassist:

Last edited: Apr 23, 2017
    Bioflava, VerryBerry, bopeuph and 5 others like this.
  5. If you can handle the expense go with a teacher. Now you do not have to take on the care and feeding of that teacher. Four lessons and then sit out and catch up on all the stuff s/he will have given you. Then go back for another four lessons. Back when I was taking lessons that is the way I did it and it seemed to work out OK.

Once you connect with a band and start playing with others, the others can guide you to what is needed. At this point taking lessons on technique from someone that plays the way you would like to play like is in order.

Knee to knee is always best. How you go about that can vary.

VerryBerry and Hathor like this.
  6. I will always recommend a private instructor. Self taught is nothing more than trial and error. As beginners we are in no position to teach anyone yet, especially not ourselves. It's a crapshoot--maybe you luck out and discover good technique, but more likely to develop bad habits.

One-on-one time spent with an experienced player/teacher is 100 to 1000 times more productive.

Short bursts of instruction is not a bad idea, either, as previously suggested.

Also, try different instructors throughout your career. There is always someone better you can learn from.

7. 5544

Dec 1, 2015
    Jam Play.

I signed up for a free 7 day trial and it is great so far.

8. Hathor

Hathor

Apr 22, 2017
    South Florida

9. Hathor

Hathor

Apr 22, 2017
    South Florida
    Whoa....thanks for this!

pcake likes this.
  10. Hathor

Hathor

Apr 22, 2017
    South Florida

11. Hathor

Hathor

Apr 22, 2017
    South Florida
    First off...that was extremely well written and a good boost. Thank you for taking the time to respond! Youre 100 % correct ...technique and injury free. And ditching the tabs may be the thing to do!

12. Hathor

Hathor

Apr 22, 2017
    South Florida

13. Hathor

Hathor

Apr 22, 2017
    South Florida
    Great great advice! N3ver consideres four then four! Thank you!!

14. JRA

JRA my words = opinion Supporting Member

just curious about why you need to do this "fast."

in all 'learning curves', we experience plateaus.

pcake and FenderB like this.
  15. Low8

Low8 Supporting Member

Mar 30, 2014
    Learn and understand the 12-bar blues. And get comfortable enough to play it in any key.

When I was first getting started, someone in my neighborhood gave me a book & cassette method for beginners. In it, the 12-bar blues was laid out.

As I look back, it's the best bass instruction I've ever received... and I've studied with private instructors, teachers in college, online classes and taken part in countless jams with folks that are better than me.

To quote Brad from Fast Times, learn it... know it... live it.

FenderB likes this.
  16. 1. You're probably getting better and don't realize it. We're always the last to see how much we've improved and progressed.

2. Lessons will come with their own unique set of challenges and learning curves.

Either way, patience and determination win the day. No one ever stays static or regresses with effort. Lessons are a good call if it's a good fit for the individual.

Good luck.

FenderB likes this.
  17. FenderB

FenderB

Mar 28, 2016
    Findlay, Ohio
    I've been taking lessons for a year now and if nothing else lessons keep me on track and gives me a direction. I'm also interested in learning some theory so she teaches to that. For me without lessons I would be just running in circles and jumping from one thing to another. I still struggle mightily but it is a slow process and a my age I wish it wasn't. I agree with fearceol stay off the tabs, learn to read music instead you'll be much further ahead. I would recommend "Music Theory for the Bass Player" by Ariane Cap. She's an excellent teacher also. One more thing, if you do take lessons make sure it's from a "bass player" not just someone who knows how to play a guitar. Good luck.

18. the teacher... 'cause you don't know what you don't know.

lfmn16, PillO and JRA like this.
  19. JRA

JRA my words = opinion Supporting Member

^

20. crucislancer

crucislancer Supporting Member

Dec 25, 2009
    Coeur d'Alene, ID
    When i first started, i took lessons for a year. It was very beneficial in learning not only proper technique but also a good foundation in theory. I've certainly gone my own way since then but my teacher's instruction is the basis of that.

21. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Mar 1, 2021