1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

6-string bass

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Strych9, Mar 14, 2009.

1. Strych9

Strych9

Mar 14, 2009
    Holland
    Hello all,

I, as a beginning bassist, am playing on an Ibanez GSR190, I know it's not much of a big deal but keep in mind I'm just hitting the strings for 3 months now.

Now as my main target I am aiming to play all songs of Dream Theater, if anyone of you knows Dream Theater you might recognize that the bassist (John Myung) is mainly playing on his 6-string.

My real request for help is the following:
    What is a good 6-string to play on, in a price range to +/- $600, and if it is wise to buy a 6-string at all after this short period of playing bass.

I'm looking forward to your replies,
    Strych9

2. You've got the Dean Edge 6 basses, the Ibanez SR506 which many like, Brice basses from Rondomusic.com, and the two lower-cost 6-strings that ESP LTD makes, right off the top of my head.

3. Contrary to the opinion of many, I believe that there is no such thing as "too soon" for a six string.

If anything, getting started on it sooner may be more beneficial to you, as it would take less time to adjust to something new.

With that said, I recommend the Ibanez SR506, but that again, is just my suggestion, there are plenty of other inexpensive 6'ers out there to be had.

4. As a recent convert to 6, I say go for it. The sooner you start playing 6 strings, the sooner you will become a competent 6 string player. And props for setting yourself an ambitious goal. I don't know much about basses in that price range, but I'm sure someone here will chime in with specifc models. I will say, though, that your best bet would be to look for a used bass in your local CL, or even ebay. Best to buy a used, high-quality bass, than a newer one of lower quality.

5. Toastfuzz

Toastfuzz

Jul 20, 2007
    Pittsburgh, PA
    I own the Ibanez and like it alot. Playing a 6 is alot different than playing a 4 however. I'd recommend trying some out first.

6. Strych9

Strych9

Mar 14, 2009
    Holland
  7. tdogg

tdogg

Jan 17, 2001
    Brooklyn Park, MN
    +10 on that. i started on 5 strings. and now im focusing more on mastering 4 strings before i move on. 6's are really fun though, and kinda necessary if you wanna play dreamtheater

8. I don't like the neck on the BTB 6'ers, the SR506 pummels it in my opinion.

On another note, the LTD D6 is pretty good for the money as well, or at least I was somewhat impressed when I tried one out.

9. I forgot to mention the Peavey Grind.

10. Mark Wilson

Mark Wilson Supporting Member

Jan 12, 2005
    Toronto, Ontario
    Endorsing Artist: Elixir® Strings
    Pfft.
    You really don't need that many strings...

;)

just kidding. I love my 7-string.

11. Strych9

Strych9

Mar 14, 2009
    Holland
    Any thoughts on the Ibanez BTB576FM?

12. .

13. Strych9

Strych9

Mar 14, 2009
    Holland
    Meh, it's hard to find a used 6-string in my area here in Holland, even in whole Holland there isn't a used 6-string for sale.

//Strych9

14. jsm81

jsm81

Jan 25, 2008
    I recently picked up a used Carvin LB76 off ebay for $558. Absolutely love it. I strongly recommend buying used, but that's just my preference.

th_213280563_o.

15. Strych9

Strych9

Mar 14, 2009
    Holland
    Is eBay completely save? Even if I have to let it ship from overseas (since I'm living in Holland)

//Strych9

16. Oh wow. Green is such a nice colour on basses like this.

17. jsm81

jsm81

Jan 25, 2008
    thanks crazy ivan and sorry strych9 i forgot about the whole shipping overseas thing. as far as instruments go, i usually only buy thru ebay stores with a good rep

18. Strych9

Strych9

Mar 14, 2009
    Holland
    Well thanks anyway guys, I think I'm going to stick to the idea of the Ibanez SR506 for a while, I'm going to buy an amp first but I'll be posting about that in the amp section.

Back to my GSR190 the upcoming months anyway!

//Strych9

19. OneMoreRobot

OneMoreRobot

Jan 23, 2009
    Dream Theater is the reason I'm contemplating buying a 5er... I was trying to play Panic Attack and couldn't get the low notes on my 4banger :(

Guess I'll have to build a 5-String Warmoth now.... My 4 isn't even done!!

But nice goal you've got. Impressive.