1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

6 String bass

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Matoto951, Mar 18, 2010.

1. Matoto951

Matoto951

Mar 18, 2010
    Hi!
    I'm thinking about buying a Musicman Bongo 6 but I was wondering if some of you know if there is a equivalent 6 string bass, even if it is more expensive or cheaper.

Thanks! :)

2. What's your definition of *equivilent*? Build quality? Price Tone(the most subjective, perhaps)?

3. MNAirHead

MNAirHead Supporting Member

I own 6s.. before suggesting.. my best opinion is to consider a 7 string.. 6 is kind of funky.. too much or not enough..

Value buy is a GT7 for a 7

4. Matoto951

Matoto951

Mar 18, 2010
    I play progressive metal, hardcore metal, etc. the built quality of the bongo 6 is really good, the sound also... but, if you have any other 6 string basses you can tell me. I want to test many 6 string basses before buying one

thank you :)

sorry for bad english :G

5. Matoto951

Matoto951

Mar 18, 2010
    something else I can say is that I probably won't slap with it.

:)

6. I've owned two Stambaugh sixers(still have a fretted one), a Ken Smith & a Warwick Corvette; all were very nice. If I ever find a screaming good deal on an older(34" scale)Yamaha John Pattitucci signature, I think I'd like that a lot.

7. Matoto951

Matoto951

Mar 18, 2010
    Do you think a Warwick Corvette 6 string would sound "fat" enough? it is really the sound I'm searching for my Metal style ;)

8. The Warwick 6 I had was a Corvette standard- about a 98 I think, w/a wenge neck. It had a unique sound- very strong in the mids & upper mids. It *honked* for lack of a better term, and cut through very well. W/the EQ I think I could have gotten some serious depth out of it(if that's what you mean by *fat*). Personally, I really liked the flat tone of it, but sold it due to the tighter-than-my-personal-preference string spacing- I like to at least have the option to slap, even if I don't do it much on a six. I also really don't care for Warwick neck profiles on their 5 & 6 strings; it's way to thick front to back & narrow(for me- again, personal pref).

9. Mikio

Mikio

Feb 21, 2009
    Santiago de Chile
    go with the Bongo.

10. Matoto951

Matoto951

Mar 18, 2010
    I thank you very much guys ;) that will definitely help me out in my choice. :D

11. groooooove

groooooove Supporting Member

Dec 17, 2008
    Long Island, NY
    the build quality of carvins 6's are excellent. theyre some of the most reliable, comftorble to play instruments out there. the tone for the price is good too.

12. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Nov 28, 2020