1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

6 string set up with E-A - E-A-D-G ~~ could it work?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Flux Jetson, Jul 27, 2012.

1. Hello. As part of my quest to design a dual-setup bass, before I can get started I need to decide between two basic ideas.

1.) A headless doubleneck. One neck setup for the more pristine sound, cleaner tone, standard string guages, deep-tight tones with no rock-bass tones. The other neck set up more like many 70s rock basses were with low action, a bit lighter strings and a bit of fret buzz. Headless to keep the weight to a minimum.

~OR~

2.) A 5 or 6 string strung with a "standard guage" E and A string with a bit higher action for the cleaner/deeper/tighter tones, and the remaining strings to be set up like the rock bass neck of the doubleneck. So if it were a 6-string it would be strung something like this:

E105-A85 - E85-A65-D45-G32 (if 5 string is chosen delete the E85).

Almost as if it were two separate necks. The two lowest/fattest strings are for low groovin' and longer tighter sustain, the remaining four strings set up for a bit of fret buzz, shorter note duration, and thinner more "riffy" strings

Obviously the single necked 6 string standard-headed bass would be lighter and less costly than a doubleneck headless rig. So if at all possible it would be my 1st choice.

My Point:

The question here is can that double-setup 5 or 6 string idea work without odd stresses on the neck or perhaps other pitfalls I haven't thought of? I plan on using Warmoth to supply the neck and body. I would suppose the nut would have to be properly filed to make that work as well. I've been planning on using a brass nut (my Cort A4 has a brass nut and I've grown to like it).

In either case, this will be a 2-channel output design, no onboard preamp (other than simple volume controls) to be used with a custom foot sweepable pickup selection system. My foot will perform the exact same function as a pickup mix knob does, allowing me to select pickup mix with a foot controller rather than a mix or blending knob on the bass itself. This system is already 95% constructed....

http://www.talkbass.com/forum/f36/experimental-fully-modular-bass-rig-902681/

Once I get the filters worked out, that system will be reduced in size and housed in two rack adaptors and placed in a rack for bass use rather than the oversized cabs I've constructed (see thread linked above). But I'm ready to begin testing now.

I plan on using EMG systems throughout for their ease of connection and high number of optional things they offer to fit in their connection system.

Thanks. :)

2. 48thStreetCustom

48thStreetCustom

Nov 30, 2005
    Colorado
    No offense, but why?

3. mdogs

mdogs Supporting Member

Apr 13, 2010
    Cary, Il
    That is my question too, seems completely redundant...

4. iblanky1

iblanky1

Feb 25, 2012
    Virginia
    It is

5. Why? I was pretty clear about that in my opening post. Uh .. VERY clear. But at the risk of being .. well .. redundant ... I'll restate it:

A few strings for clean low grooving, and a few strings for agressive rock bass sounds. I thought I made that pretty clear. The same reason for having a doublenecked bass .. two different setups, two different purposes, two different sounds. What is so hard to understand about that?

What's "redundant" about it?

6. 48thStreetCustom

48thStreetCustom

Nov 30, 2005
    Colorado
    Sorry Dude, I'm not poo pooing your idea, I just don't get it. If I want to sound more aggressive I just dig in a little harder with my fingers. Seems like you're trying to reinvent the wheel.

7. Thomas Kievit

Thomas Kievit Guest

May 19, 2012
    I don't see the point of it.. I remember that the Ibanez Ashula bass was tuned E-A-D-G-D-G, but that was because the last 2 D and G strings were fretless, while the other 4 were fretted. But that was something else of course. I do understand the idea of the double neck bass, that can work out pretty well for you :) I think you should try that :) (Maybe one fretted and the other one fretless? :p)

8. BassBuzzRS

BassBuzzRS

Oct 18, 2005
    Norway
    I'd keep two basses. More fun :)

9. I don't see the point in it. You can still dig in with lower action, but the digging in must be a little more precise.

10. carlis

carlis

Dec 28, 2005
    I think I understood your point and respect your innovative idea, though I would personally prefer the use of two different basses for that purpose.

As for the neck tension part, one of my local fellows has strung his fender with 105-105-85-65 tuned EADG, alleging to gain more "vintage punch". It's been several months and so far so good. I think it will work similarly fine if you string a 6er with eaeadg, just FYI.

11. mdogs

mdogs Supporting Member

Apr 13, 2010
    Cary, Il
    Two E's and 2 A's in the same octave, completely redundant, very clear...

12. frankieC

frankieC A swell guy from Warren Harding High

Jul 21, 2012
    I'm not sure I understand what it is you're trying to achieve, and to be honest, even with your two explanations, the end result still seems redundant, to me, too.

However, if you are convinced that that's the road you wish to take, go for it, and let us know how it works out. Who knows, you might be into a whole new grove.

13. bassbenj

bassbenj

Aug 11, 2009
    I can understand it. Given the large difference in tone between my identical SX basses one with flats and one with rounds I can see that it's not redundant. Also somebody does sell a bass with half the finger board fretted and the other half fretless for the same idea.

But I"m thinking that learning to jump over two strings to access the "different" two lower strings might take some practice! It's an interesting idea, though. Sort of like a "reduced" double neck compressed onto one neck. And a 6 string neck (or even a 7) shouldn't be too wide to play conventionally .

But it seems to me that this sort of thing is going to take a LOT of experimentation until an optimum arrangement is found. But someone has to start somewhere. Go for it.

14. Spiffmeister

Spiffmeister Meister of the Spiffs

Apr 26, 2012
    Belgium
    I like the idea! Especially the 6string idea. Although I don't know if the tonal differences will be that big, unless you use different types of strings (flats/rounds, or perhaps even different brands,...)...

15. guy n. cognito

guy n. cognito Secret Agent Member Gold Supporting Member

Dec 28, 2005
    Nashville, TN
    What you seem to be doing is spending an inordinate amount of time and effort in the quest to have a single bass that will have two slightly variant tones. Honestly, it doesn't seem worth it.

16. Well, I don't think it will do anything weird to the neck. If you want two very different tones, you could go with two flatwound strings, and the rest roundwound.

I like your idea, ignore these guys telling you it is redundant. Just because they don't think outside the box doesn't mean you can't :p

17. Stealth

Stealth

Feb 5, 2008
    Zagreb, Croatia
    I've read this thread and the other thread - this'll be a killer bass. I fully approve. It definitely can and should work - I've seen two 4+4 fretted/fretless basses made here and as far as I've heard none of the owners had problems.

18. SidMau

SidMau

Sep 3, 2012
    Yeah, this is a similar concept to the Ibanez Ashula, but a bit different. I'd look into obtaining one of those and modifying it to your desires (it'd need a refret and new nut, but its a similar idea... or you could just use it as is)

19. jim777

jim777 Tarantula Lobbyist

Aug 7, 2006
    South Jersey
    I am head over heels in love with all those synthesizers.com modules :) Though personally if I was building a custom doubleneck one neck would be fretless. I wish I could add more but that's what I've got. Good luck though, sounds like a ton of fun!

20. I get it I just would not want to give up the range.
    And I would make the top two strings flat wound,just saying.