Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

6 string with 19mm spacing?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by waytoodeep03, Mar 15, 2005.

1. Other than the Brice z6 is there another six string bass with wide spacing? I am looking for a main axe that I can slap and do lots of funk. I have huge hands so I dont want to fumble around on the strings with raking.

2. Dincrest

Dincrest

Sep 27, 2004
    New Jersey
    Warwick 6-strings with the broadneck option have 19mm string spacing. Or the Streamer Stage 1 6-string comes default with 20mm spacing.

But as for 6-strings between the price points of Brice and Warwick, I can't think of any. Though some independent luthiers may be able to carve a bass for you for less than a new Warwick.

So unless you give us a price range, we can't help you much.

3. sargebaker

sargebaker Commercial User

May 2, 2004
    Montreal QC CA
    owner/builder, ISLAND Instrument Mfg.
    Pedulla, but they don't come cheap.

4. pickles

pickles Supporting Member

Mar 23, 2000
    Ventura, CA
    I think Yamaha TRBs are in that range.

And Pedullas of course!

5. Funky Doctor

Funky Doctor

Aug 28, 2003
    Australia
    Yep. Yamaha. I got one. Friggin amazing bass. Neckthrough. 19mm spacing. Ooooh yeah.

6. pc

pc

Apr 4, 2000
    Montreal QC
    Ibanez BTB

7. Lo end PUNCH

Lo end PUNCH

Jan 28, 2005
    Racine,Wi
    Warwick broad-neck Thumb or LX have 20mm string spacing not 19 as mentioned above. Great for slapping but they both list for about $4300.00 :eyebrow:

8. SlavaF

SlavaF

Jul 31, 2002
    Edmonton AB
    I'm pretty sure the 6 strings are 17mm.

9. chucko58

chucko58

Jan 17, 2002
    Silicon Valley, CA, USA
    I paid for all my gear myself. Well, me and MasterCard.
    What's your budget?

Matt Pulcinella's Level 6 models are 19 mm spacing, but you're looking at spending $1500 for one.

10. The 406 has 17 mm, the 1006E 18 mm.

11. pc

pc

Apr 4, 2000
    Montreal QC

Ups... Sorry! The 405 is 19mm... :smug:

12. 1500 is about max I would pay for any bass. I don't hear a difference in tone after that level, construction maybe.

Are you guys sure that the BTB has it? That is a pretty nice bass

13. pc

pc

Apr 4, 2000
    Montreal QC

I'm almost shure that the fiver has it. Mine is being defretted right now... I can chec and post later.

I thought the 6er had too, but as stated by SlavaF and DaMaGe,Inc, i probably has 17/18mm. It's better check it out.

14. Dincrest

Dincrest

Sep 27, 2004
    New Jersey
    Whoops, my bad. Chalk that up as a "d'oh" moment.

Yeah, new Warwicks are pricey, even the Corvette Standard and Proline 6's. I believe music stores may sell a new stock Thumb Bolt 6 (read: w/o broadneck) for $1950 or so. If you can find a preowned broadneck 6, that may be worth looking into. Heck, the majority of people on TalkBass will tell you that preowned Warwicks are the way to go so you don't have to pay the exorbitant 'new' prices. Though finding used 6's might be tricky since 6's aren't super popular. However, finding used Thumbs isn't so tricky since many people fall in love with the tone but trade up after falling out of love with the heavy weight.

15. hands5

hands5

Jan 15, 2003
    good 'ol USA/Tampa fla.
    none
    That is not a bad price for a 6 string bass of that quality and playablity IMO,but my (former)MTD 635 had 19mm string spacing,and as mention the Yamaha TRB & Pattitucci models have 20"mm (Damn ! I should've kept the Yamaha)

16. Ryan L.

Ryan L. Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Aug 7, 2000
    West Fargo, ND
    Yep. 19mm spacing with a super comfortable neck. But, they don't come cheap either. (although I got mine for a steal :) )

17. sneaky pete

sneaky pete

Feb 10, 2002
    Yakima, WA
    19mm is just too wide for me. I bought a Yamaha John Myung bass a few months back which is 5/8" (17mm?). Nice bass but not the tone I want. I've got an ad on CG's for it.

p