1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

$600

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by panaran, Mar 17, 2009.

1. panaran

panaran

Dec 1, 2008
    Just sold my main head so I'm using my backup Backline 600 as my main for right now. Its powering my Avatar 410 Neo. (4ohm)

I wanted to add another 4 ohm cab, ideally a used Avatar 212, but I dont think the Backline would cut it. I dont even think the BL could run @ 2ohms.

So I'll need a head to go with it. I was wondering what you guys would do with $600. Could be any combo of things new or used. Whether just a head, or a preamp/poweramp setup. Or just get a power amp to boost the BL?

I have a floor line6 Bass Pod (bean looking one) and I have heard of people using that as a pre and runing it into a power amp. I like the sound of the line6 so If anybody has experience with that, please share.

Im pretty much open to any ideas, it will most likely have to be used since its a pretty low budget. Even if your suggestions are around 800-900, id still love to hear them.

2. RCCollins

RCCollins Supporting Member

Mar 23, 2008
    San Diego, California
    mesa buster if you can find one

3. panaran

panaran

Dec 1, 2008
    Im not too familiar with Mesa stuff. I googled and saw it was a 210 combo looking thing. Is that what you were referring to? If so, i dont think it would work as im trying t push a full stack. thanks tho.

I coudl also sell the BL600 if i found a reliable head so that would up my range a little.

4. qsc gx series power amps. i love qsc stuff. sounds good, affordable, reliable. if i was you i'd run the line 6 into a gx 3 power amp, and the 2x12 avatar. i think the 2x12 avatars handle 500 watts, and the 4x10 handles a 1000 watts... the gx3 putts out like 425-500 watts into a 4 ohm load. the gx3 puts out like 750 watts into a 4 ohm load. this is actually what i'm going to start doing, but it's a 2x10 avatar and a 2x12 avatar with the gx5 power amp. i figure both of those cabs in 8 ohm format with that power amp is perfectly matched... so... yea... uh... i guess that's all i can tell you. good luck! :smug:

5. manutabora

manutabora

Aug 14, 2007
    Iowa City, IA
    There are a number of peavey heads that would fit your budget, for example the older firebass or newer max 700, might work for you. They are very reliable and made right here in the US, if that matters.
    That's just one of the endless possibilities out there. It might also help to check out the musician's friend clearance section just to get ideas.

6. SanDiegoHarry

SanDiegoHarry Banned Supporting Member

Aug 11, 2008
    San Diego, CA
    Used, you can get a dandy head that will support 2ohms, I'm sure. New - that's a different story.

7. Carvin B1500

8. +1 to the Carvin B1500 and the Peavey Max 700

also, the Kustom Groove Bass 1200 HD

9. stingray69

stingray69 Talkbass Legit

Aug 11, 2004
    St Louis Area
    The Acoustic B600H might be worth checking out. You can find the Acoustic brand at almost any Guitar Center. I believe the specs state 600W at 2-ohm load. I was floored by both volume & tone of just their 200w head that I tried last weekend. Whether you want to call it "old-school" watts or whatever you'd like, the thing was LOUD - those 200 watts where every bit the rival of my QSC power amp (PLX 1602). I wouldn't have been so impressed - who cares about loud without TONE right? But the tone was simply beautiful - amazing & highly musical tones from these amps. I'm saving up myself at the moment to get one. Can't imagine what the 600w version brings to the table. Worth having a test drive...I think the street price on the B600H is $450.00

Best of luck.

10. Lia_G

Lia_G

Oct 27, 2005
    Big +1 on the B1500.

And Carvin has a new b-stock one on ebay for $550, plus $25 shipping. Full new warranty:
    http://cgi.ebay.com/Carvin-B1500-1900W-Mono-Block-Bass-Head-Amp-Amplifier-B_W0QQitemZ150332766926QQcmdZViewItemQQptZLH_DefaultDomain_0?hash=item150332766926&_trksid=p3286.c0.m14&_trkparms=72%3A1728|66%3A2|65%3A12|39%3A1|240%3A1318|301%3A1|293%3A1|294%3A50

Or for a little less money and less power, they have a blem BX600 selling for $360:
    http://cgi.ebay.com/CARVIN-BX600-600W-BASS-AMP-AMPLIFIER-HEAD-BLM-C_W0QQitemZ400037376311QQihZ027QQcategoryZ64397QQtcZphotoQQcmdZViewItemQQ_trksidZp1713.m153.l1262

That one would give you 400 watts into a single 4 ohm cab, or 600 watts into the stack at 2 ohms.

Those would be my choices, especially given your budget. I *really* like my B1500.

Good luck!

Liam

11. My drummer has a Eden Nemesis head that goes down to 2 ohms. I can't see it being too much, since he's not even a bass player. He hooked up my 215 and his 410 and told me it was pretty incredible. I haven't used it but may try it next practice, just for fun.

12. Blues Cat

Blues Cat Payson Fanned Bass Strings Owner Commercial User

May 28, 2005
    Katy, Tx
    Payson Fanned Bass Strings Owner
    Wisdom and knowledge

13. Do you really need another cab? I play with an Avatar 410 in a 7 piece band and have no PA support at practice and I am fine.

As for a head, I would second the motion on a used Peavey Firebass 700. That is what I have been using at my gigs lately. It has plenty of power (it is actually barely on because of the PA).

Other candidates that I can recommend is used Trace Elliot and Markbass. You could probably score a used GK 700/1001RB for a decent price too and that may work.

Ox.

14. panaran

panaran

Dec 1, 2008

No, I dont really need the second cab. The 410 gets loud enough, but my friend has an avatar 410+212 setup and it just sounds better IMO. I will probably set it at the same volume, but the 2 cabs just have a more...i dunno...full sound? Its more for tone than volume. We play a wide spectrum of covers and sometimes i just need more thump on the low end. I found great condition Avatar 212 for a good price so if I dont need it/like it ill just sell it.

Plus I have a disease of wanting new things haha.

15. UncleFluffy

UncleFluffy

Mar 8, 2009
    California
    Head Tinkerer, The Flufflab
  16. snappytom

snappytom

Aug 17, 2005
    ChicagoLand
    You could get a used Genz Benz GBE 600 for under $600. Plenty of power and will run at 2 ohms all day without a problem.

17. they're not a lot of people's favorite amp heads from what i've read on here, but i've always liked em, KUSTOM GROOVEBASS 1200.

there's actually a guy selling one on this forum i think. if i hadn't just bought a kustom 310c and an ampeg v4b, i would be all over that.

the groovebass1200 puts out up to 1200 watts@ 2 ohms.

with the bass pod, you should be able to make the amp head sound like almost anything you want. (big emphasis on almost)

18. Dare I say it - but the Behringer Europower EP series of power amps are darn good IMO. There's been one at a rehearsal room we sometimes use- frequented by HEAVY/LOUD bands & it gets ABUSED!!!!!!! Big time... I know the owner & he's had it for 5 yrs nearly & it's never missd a beat!! I also know of other EP pwr amps that do the hire job well & same story- all've worked well!!

19. Lia_G

Lia_G

Oct 27, 2005
    There's one for sale in this Craigslist ad for $350 (along with some Ampeg gear priced separately):
    http://nashville.craigslist.org/msg/1080732982.html

He's in Missouri somewhere, but posted it on the Nashville Craigslist, so he apparently is willing to ship, maybe?

Anyway, this is yet another option.

Cheers,
    Liam

20. +1 on the carvin. it'll be able to, as they say, whoomp those cabs the right way and it has all the power you'll ever need as a bassist, ever.