Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

6550 VS. 6L6?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Flat Bass, Feb 3, 2004.

1. Flat Bass

Flat Bass

Dec 8, 2002
    I am thinking about the 400 or 400+. Which sounds better? I have been told that 6550 tubes are better sounding. Not as mushy? More of that tubish warmth and glassy highs in the 6550? Sorry I know this has probably been asked a thousand times. Also planning on using this mesa tube head with two Aguilar GS 1-12 cabs any thought on that too?

Thanks gang. :bassist:

2. The 0x

The 0x

Aug 24, 2003
    Timonium, MD
    I think the 400 would sound better with 6550s, and would also be cheaper to retube.

3. The 6550 is a beefed up 6L6GC. They're both beam tetrodes and sound VERY similar except that a 6550 is harder to overdrive. Neither has more "warmth" or "glass." 6550's work better for bass amps because they have better peak current capability, so they are less "mushy," but one person's "mush" is another's "feel." You're going to have a MUCH harder time trying to find a Bass 400 than a Bass 400+ and since the power supply of both amps minimizes the differences between the differences of the tubes, it's probably not worth the extra effort to track down a Bass 400.

I wouldn't expect a lot of volume out of that setup.