Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

7+ string players

Discussion in 'Technique [BG]' started by MODNY, Jul 28, 2005.

1. MODNY

MODNY Guest

Nov 9, 2004
    i've seem to be noticing some kind of wrist band type thing over the nut of basses with these many strings..

whats with it? i play a 6 string fretless..is it to mute the strings when not in use??
    where can u acquire one of these bands etc??

2. mark beem

mark beem Gold Supporting Member

Jul 20, 2001
    New Hope, Alabama
    Bingo...

Most time they're those elastic hair ties which can be bought at any retail store..

3. how the heck do you get it over the head?

4. pointbass

pointbass Semi-Retired Gold Supporting Member Supporting Member

Nov 4, 2004
    Acworth, GA
    Endorsing Artist: FBB Bass Works
    Just stretch it, it'll go over. If there are any females in your life, they'll know where to get it :cool:

5. MODNY

MODNY Guest

Nov 9, 2004
    so just get a skid ass scrunchy?

6. pointbass

Nov 4, 2004
    Acworth, GA
    Yep, that's it, a scrunchy (couldn't remember the name) :cool:

7. MODNY

MODNY Guest

Nov 9, 2004
    hahaha sweeeeeettt

8. what do you do when you want to hit open strings? just move it off the neck?

9. Bryan R. Tyler

Bryan R. Tyler TalkBass: Usurping My Practice Time Since 2002 Staff Member Administrator Gold Supporting Member

May 3, 2002
    Connecticut
    You can still play open strings- it just aids in muffling the sympathetic ringing that ERBs have more of.

Anyone remember the brand that Gregory Bruce Campbell used to suggest? I haven't had one since I sold my seven-string two years ago and I should get a new one for my six.

10. LiquidMidnight

LiquidMidnight

Dec 25, 2000
    There use to be a product on the market called a Kleen Axe (sp?) that was designed to eliminate ringing strings, especially ringing caused by two-handed touch technique. Mounted to the head stock, it looked something like a straight razor that you shave with. You could flip it up and down to mute the strings.

I believe the Kleen Axe has been discontinued, but I think that Jennifer Batten of Jeff Beck's band still has some mounted on her guitars.

11. pointbass

Nov 4, 2004
    Acworth, GA
    It was called Kleen-Axe and I think you're right, it's no longer available. But the scrunchy thing works just fine.

Like Bryan said, it just knocks out the sympathetic ring ..... but don't put the scrunchy all over the first fret, just run it right along the nut. That'll allow for an open string tone yet still dampen the ringing :cool:

12. Mark Wilson

Mark Wilson Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Jan 12, 2005
    Toronto, Ontario
    Endorsing Artist: Elixir® Strings
    I asked the same thing when I started posting here. Stew Mckinsey filled me in. I'll quote his post.

13. Tompskij

Tompskij

Jul 23, 2005
    Sweden
    Holy sh*t. :eyebrow:

14. Gregory Bruce Campbell

Gregory Bruce Campbell

Apr 14, 2002
    Helena, MT U.S.A 59602
    BEE basses, Morley pedals
    i beleive that the scunci that is on stews 10 in that pic...

used to be in my hair!

for real

15. Victor Wooten uses them on his Fodera, too...His brother, Reggie, also uses them on his guitar.

16. ladros2

ladros2

Jun 2, 2005
    Ireland
  17. Gregory Bruce Campbell

Gregory Bruce Campbell

Apr 14, 2002
    Helena, MT U.S.A 59602
    BEE basses, Morley pedals
    scunci

its not pronounced "scrunchy" women mis pronounced it and it stuck...

imagine if everyone had called Kleenex "klooonex"

LOL

http://www.scunci.com

18. When I got my Conklin GTBD 7er a few days ago, I wasn't really looking forward to asking one of my friends for a scrunchy, or buying one of those wristbands at Old Navy and looking like a poser, but then I found a hairtie jammed in the Conklin's battery compartment! Apparently, the former owner used it the keep the battery from rattling around. So I took it out, wrapped the battery in a piece of paper, and used the scrunchy for muting. Pretty neat conincidence, eh?

19. Unchain

Unchain I've seen footage.

Jun 20, 2005
    Tucson, AZ
    Are you really that concerned about buying a wrist band?

20. No. I was being a tad bit facetious. ;) It really isn't that inconvenient to buy a hair- or armband. ;)