1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

70's Ric 4001 @ local shop.

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by morebrainzz, Jan 10, 2012.

1. morebrainzz

morebrainzz

Oct 29, 2011
    I went to a couple of local music shop looking for a speaker cab cable. The guy tried to convince me instrument cables worked fine.:D Anyway, there was this Ric '01. It's got a few visible dings, etc. I'm not sure exactly what year it was fabricated. Haven't played it through an amp but acoustically, it sounds just like a bass.:p Price is $1100. Is this a good deal?

2. s3lggiW

s3lggiW

Aug 24, 2011
    Yes.

3. birdman14

birdman14

Feb 7, 2011
    Boston
    Depending on how much you like it, its a pretty decent deal. Most are going for around 1500-2000 bucks. On the other hand, you can find some vintage Ricks for the same price if you look hard enough and haggle.

4. pflash4001

pflash4001

Dec 2, 2011
    If its in good shape and you check it well to make sure it's genuine, that's a very good offer. I have a late 70s 4000 on layaway right now for $1300. Can you get pics? I love my Rics and you don't see them around too often...

Plus, if this guy tried to convince you an instrument cable could replace a spkr cable, he doesn't know what he's got...haggle him. I'll bet you can get a better deal...

5. morebrainzz

morebrainzz

Oct 29, 2011
    I don't have a good camera so I don't think taking pics would help much. But it looks pretty okay. it's red (no jetglo or burst of any kind) and the strangest thing I noticed was extra glue between neck and fretboard.

6. The board may have popped off, could've been someone not knowing how to adjust the truss.

7. Plucky The Bassist

Plucky The Bassist ZOMG! I'm back from the dead! Supporting Member

Jul 30, 2010
    Houston, TX
    This would be alarming to me...I'm by no means an expert but that sounds like some backyard luthier work done by the shop guys (or whoever they bought it from). I would inquire about it or use this as a bartering point to lower the price.

8. kcole4001

kcole4001

Oct 7, 2009
    Nova Scotia
    The serial number is two letters and four numbers stamped into the jackplate, plug them in here: Serial Number Decoder

That will tell you the year and month of manufacture if it's genuine.
    There shouldn't be 'extra glue' between fingerboard and neck.
    Sounds like a neck repair of possibly dubious quality.

9. morebrainzz

morebrainzz

Oct 29, 2011
    Thank you, I will look into that.

Is it possible to re-repair the neck to get rid of this cosmetic flaw?

10. kcole4001

kcole4001

Oct 7, 2009
    Nova Scotia
    It's probably going to be fairly expensive if you can get someone to take on the job. If you know a good luthier/repairman, it might be a plan, but it may just be fine as is if it's stable and sounds and plays fine.

If it's not stable or is hard to get the action low enough, just walk away.

At any rate, I'd try to get the price knocked down some because of the obvious flaw.

Make sure you verfiy the serial number and play it through an amp before buying to make sure everything works, including the stereo jack.
    A cheap stereo to two mono splitter cable is all you need (and two amps, obviously) to check it out.

11. A picture is worth a 1000 words here.

The answer is 'maybe, maybe not'.

If the neck itself was compromised there may be more to it than just a badly re-glued fretboard.

Examine it thoroughly and if you can, take some picks - close up, clear ones - of the entire thing.

12. pnut166

pnut166

Jun 5, 2008
    alabama
    Considering the neck issue, I`d have to pass. I`d rather spend a little more, if necessary, to get one with no issues. If he came way down on the price to make it worth the gamble, however....

13. Ric5

Ric5 Supporting Member Commercial User

Jan 29, 2008
    Colorado
    I convert 4 string Rickenbackers to 5 string basses.
    This means it has been a victim of an improper truss rod adjustment. That is the reason for the lower price.

The question is has it been properly repaired?

A bad neck on a neck through bass is not good.

14. morebrainzz

morebrainzz

Oct 29, 2011
    I'm not currently on the market for basses, so that explains my vagueness. But I will revisit the shop and really inspect it and if this bass surprises me, so be it. :) Thanks for the support, guys.

15. experimental bassist

experimental bassist

Mar 15, 2009
    Don't be too quick to jump on an old 4001 just because it's a Ric, good deal, etc.

Please excuse me if I may put on my geezer hat for a minute, but understand, back in the day Rics were as often as not rode hard and put away wet like any other working bass.

I could speak stories in my youth that would make most Ric fans on this board cringe about how many of my peers treated their 4001s, but suffice to say, if I was going to drop any serious coin in a Ric I would get a gently used modern 4003 for $1300 -$1500 all day long before I'd throw the dice on some 4001, particularly one with obvious neck issues.

Unless you need that Ric as a parts bass or could lowball it for something about half what that seller is offering, I would run away.

Ric5 is right, a bad neck on a Ric is NOT good.

16. Korladis

Korladis Banned Supporting Member

If you can use the neck flaw to talk the price down, maybe would be good.

Could you post a picture or something at all?

17. Jeff Scott

Jeff Scott Rickenbacker guru.......... Supporting Member

Apr 11, 2006
    This is all conjecture about the neck until someone knowledgeable about Ricks can get a look at the bass. Where is the shop, perhaps one of us who do know these basses well can check it out for you? :cool: