1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

'72 jazz price

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by AVWIII, Dec 7, 2006.

1. AVWIII

AVWIII

Jun 10, 2006
    So I was at my local pawn shop to escape the snow, and stumbled upon a de-fretted '72 fender jazz w. emg Js. They want a grand (canadian) for it. Does this sound reasonable to anyone? It's in decent condition with nothing too major wrong, and the setup was absolutely flawless.

2. MonetBass

MonetBass ♪ Just listen ♫ Supporting Member

Sep 15, 2006
    Tulsa, OK
    Check the defret job closely. If it's a hack job, I'd pass. Otherwise talk them down to $800CDN and see what happens.

3. klocwerk

klocwerk

May 19, 2005
    Somerville, MA
    I'd say that's reasonable for a '72 with the frets ripped out and swapped p'ups.
    If it plays good, grab it. You can drop in some 70's p'ups later if you want it closer to original. :D

4. AVWIII

AVWIII

Jun 10, 2006
    Thanks for the info!
    The defret is obviously pro, as the frets were filed down without eating the board, and then finished with a clear coat. It surprised me that the clear appears to have little to no damage, even though it's strung with rounds.
    I have yet to hear how it truly sounds (being that all they had to play through was possibly the worst sounding no name 25 watt I've ever heard), so the tone of the beast will make or break.
    Thanks again.