1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

78 Music Master - Fake? Expensive anyway?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by And I, Feb 9, 2017.

1. And I

And I Supporting Member

Feb 19, 2009
    Witchtown, MA
    Vintage 1978 Fender® Musicmaster Bass

Picture of the headstock has the serial number covered... Otherwise it looks good but I know nothing about how to authenticate these... If it's legit is $750 fair?

2. Lownote38

Lownote38

Aug 8, 2013
    Nashville, TN
    It's legit, although I don't remember seeing tuners like those on a Fender from that era. I wouldn't pay $750 for any Musicmaster Bass, though. They don't have the big sound that a Mustang Bass has and use a guitar pickup (Strat). The one you're looking at has a replacement guitar pickup that's a rail pickup. That might help, but you can find one of these for cheaper than $750.

mindwell likes this.
  3. Oren Hudson

Oren Hudson Supporting Member

Dec 25, 2007
    Gastonia, NC
    I've just recently rehabbed a '73. From my research, I can tell you that the tuners are correct for the year. Everything else looks correct except for the pickup and knobs. Price is a little high for non-original. I've seen some sell in that neighborhood though.

4. Looks legit to me, and apart from the already-mentioned pickup swap, the price is not really out of line for a bass in that condition + case. This looks like a very nice example, I've never seen one that clean.

5. And I

And I Supporting Member

Feb 19, 2009
    Witchtown, MA
    Nice, thanks folks! Odd that the serial number was covered, that's what made my "is this a fake?" senses tingle.

6. AltGrendel

AltGrendel Squire Jag SS fan.

May 21, 2009
    Mid-Atlantic USA.
    I think that there was a serial number scam running around for a while where someone would pull the number off of the pic, report it stolen, and try to get a free bass out of the deal.