1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

8-string Alt tuning help.

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by KB5, Nov 10, 2018.

1. KB5

KB5 Supporting Member

Sep 28, 2012
    So I stumbled upon a stupid cheap ESP B-208FM 8-String. I am checking it out on Wednesday and hope to strike a deal and take it home. I want to tune it to drop D and tune the octave strings on the D and G down A and D respectively. I'm planning on Kalium Hybrids as they are my favorite stings lately. Any suggestions on string gauges?

To clarify tuning:
    Dd
    Aa
    Da
    Gd

2. Going off the gauges for GHS's 8 set, then thickening the E to drop-D and copying the lowered octaves you specify I get:
    Dd: .100/.050 or .110/.055
    Aa: .070/.035
    Da: .055/.035
    Gd: .040/.025

This is just a guess, but a logical starting point.
    Ask Kalium what they recommend based on the above so that your tension is balanced.
    They know stuff.

KB5 likes this.
  3. ixlramp

ixlramp

Jan 25, 2005
    UK
    I assume you know what gauges you want for DADG, so to choose the 4'octave' strings:
    Useful rules derived from physics:
    2 strings at equal tension an octave apart will have gauges in ratio 2:1.
    2 strings at equal tension a fifth apart will have gauges in ratio 3:2.

However thinner strings don't need as much tension as fatter strings because they have less mass and are therefore less prone to floppiness, so it's possible to make the 4 'octave' strings a little looser than the others if you want to. You can see some 8 string sets do this.

Why not use the Kalium tension chart to choose gauges?

Last edited: Nov 11, 2018
    KB5 likes this.
  4. KB5

KB5 Supporting Member

Sep 28, 2012
    Thanks guys! I didn't know Kalium had a tension chart. The ratios make perfect sense, I just hadn't thought that that far into this. The hive delivers again.

KeithAlanK likes this.