1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

8 string octave basses

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Psycho, Oct 23, 2010.

1. Psycho

Psycho

Jun 24, 2008
    Anyone own/played them?

I tried out a Schecter Stiletto today, and i've gotta say, it's a total departure from the norm and my usual comfort zone!

A neck-through as well. It was slightly tricky getting a hold of hitting the pairs of strings at once, but man, playing it through a Genz Benz Shuttle 6.0 and a Xb-3 410 was a real blast. :D

Songs like Powerslave and Resistance sounded just plain awesome on it. :bassist:

2. Rob Martinez

Rob Martinez

Sep 14, 2005
    I have a Waterstone TP 8 string bass that is a great instrument.

I also have a Hagstrom re-issue 8 string bass, but I don't know if they still make them. It is a heavy bass, but real cool. At 30" scale, it is a rare bird. The Waterstone 8 string is a 32" scale bass.

3. I've had Dean 8 and 12 strings, currently have an old BC Rich 8 string. I find that the short scale makes it easier to play.

4. pandaman37

pandaman37 Banned

Sep 17, 2009
    Clovis, CA
    played an 8 string rick in a santa cruz music store once, it was very nice...

5. CopperheadLXXIX

CopperheadLXXIX

Aug 9, 2003
    Jax, FL
    Only own two basses right now-A Dean 12 string and a Schecter 8.

6. I have a Dean 8-string bass. It really seems to have limited use for me. Most of the songs I play seem to get muddied up by it. I also use synth bass pedals frequently. The pedals can't track the fundamental tone very well, so the synth pedals get very unstable.

That said, it does have a very unique sound that is great for specific songs. It's pretty fun to jam on, too.

7. weemac

weemac Guest

Feb 27, 2010
    I have a Jack Spira 8 string (J bass-ish) and A Rickenbacker 4008.
    With 8 (and 12) string basses a slight shorter scale can be helpful. And the basses with the pickups closer to the neck will usually sound better, as the octave strings add so much treble that the usual treble pickup becomes a twangy, snarly kind of useless sound. (and I like my treble)
    Basses such as the Hagstrom and the Waterstone have a true neck pickup and a mid one (So does the Rickenbacker if you can find one) and are well designed to be 8 string basses.
    Many other designs (meaning most) are 4 string designs that may be toughened up for the extra tension but little thought was given to the sound or playablity...
    As Rob said, Try the Hagstrom or Waterstone basses.

emac.

8. jazzbo58

jazzbo58 Bassist for My Man Godbey

Apr 21, 2001
    New Orleans, LA USA
    I have a Kramer 8 string and a Manson 8 string. Every now and then I find a song that benefits from the 8srting sound.

Cheers,
    Jim

9. GM60466

GM60466

May 20, 2006
    Land of Lakland
    Rondo sells an Brice 8 string that pretty cool. 34" scale.

10. TBird1958

TBird1958 As a matter of fact....I am your Queen! Staff Member

Mar 13, 2008
    Seattle Washington
    Endorsing Artist Mike Lull T Bass pickups
    I can say that owning one cured any potential GAS for a second..........
    My 8 string Non Reverse Thunderbird :)

TECH070.

11. emblymouse

emblymouse exempt Supporting Member

Jan 22, 2006
    W'Sconsin
    T Bird, that just rules! What is the story?
    And did you see that Hamer T Bird 8 on e bay?

12. piano fighter

piano fighter

Apr 17, 2010
    MD
    I've played a Washburn 8 string before (not mine) and it had a really interesting sound, I liked it a lot but I feel like I wouldn't have a lot of practical application for it. That said, it only costs like $250, so who knows.

13. bassbenj

bassbenj

Aug 11, 2009
    Yeah, I own a Carlo Robelli 8 string. Got it on sale half price at Sam Ash ($150). It'll never be any kind of all purpose bass. But ya gotta love that sound! As expected from that brand, I think the body is made of celotex of something similar. Strap buttons screws kept pulling out until I installed 3" screws to hold them on! Neck dive was the absolute WORST I've ever seen on any instrument! I had to put a 3" extension rod on the upper horn and move the back button nearly to the top of the body to stop it! To give you the lay of the land, GC offered me $30 for it on a trade-in right after I bought it (brand new) and hadn't even played it yet!

BUT! Somehow it has the BEST active electronics I've ever played on a bass (short of my Conklin)! The tone just comes alive and jumps out at you! I love the way this thing sounds. If it weren't for that electronics package I'd have used this bass for firewood years ago! I keep looking to step up from what I've got, but these things are so expensive and so scarce I just keep scanning the used basses. I'd love to find a deal on a used decent 10 string, but so far, no dice. Because it's kind of a specialty bass, it's hard to justify forking out a lot of cash for one. :bassist:

14. cdef

cdef

Jul 18, 2003
    I've got a set-neck, 34" scale Framus Nashville that I converted to double courses with an Ibanez brass bridge/tailpiece, some Schaller tuners and a new nut. It's currently lacking electronics, but has been used to good effect on several recordings (used to have a set of P/J Alembic Activators). Though it's no beauty in its present state, it's structurally very solid. I've found it needs to be played with a pick (no problem) and is pretty useful for enhancing riff-type lines. Guess I really should fix it up.

15. Bob C

Bob C

Mar 26, 2000
    Duluth, MN
    I love the 8 string sound. I've only played them in a store - just a few times. As has been stated, the feel takes getting used to. It isn't a simple switch from a 4 string.

Granted, guitars on the rack aren't always set up great. Also, 8 strings are kind of geared toward pick playing. But there are work-arounds. I've read that for pick, the octave (smaller) string should be on top (in each pair). And for fingerstyle, it should be on the bottom.

I'd like to hear more reviews of the Schecters.

16. Hoover

Hoover Banned

Nov 2, 2007
    New York City
    Check out the "official" (sic) TalkBass 8-string Club thread:
    http://www.talkbass.com/forum/showthread.php?t=456609

...and all y'all 8-bangers who haven't yet joined, post a pic please!

Other way around actually; the general consensus is that you want to strike the lower string first.

17. bassplaya2

bassplaya2

Oct 25, 2010
    Barnsley
    Haha, love how you took the picture next to a Subaru.

18. Bob C

Bob C

Mar 26, 2000
    Duluth, MN
    I'm no expert, but ... In the pictures I've seen of the 12 string basses played by Nikki Sixx, Doug Pinnick and Tom Peterson (all using a pick) the lower octave string was on the bottom of each set (of 3).

19. moonshinegtrs

moonshinegtrs Banned Gold Supporting Member Commercial User

Jan 28, 2009
    White Bluff,Tn.
    Owner: Moonshine Custom Guitars

I've got a Carlo Robelli 8 string too...I love it!!!

Moonshine :bassist:

20. Rob Martinez

Rob Martinez

Sep 14, 2005
    This. On all my Waterstone TP 12 string and 8 string basses, you strike the guitar strings first, then the bass string, unless you play with your fingers, then it's the other way around.