Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

8ohm Goliath III + ??????

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by ElephantTalk, Sep 24, 2005.

1. ElephantTalk

ElephantTalk

Jan 20, 2005
    Indy
    I'm looking for a companion cabinet that I can use with my G3. I want to put a 4ohm load on my iAmp600 to get the full effect of the head.

I'd be interested in a cab that would be smaller still than the G3 and could stand alone for smaller to medium gigs.
    It would also need to handle a lowB.

What can the collective suggest?
    Thanks!
    -ET

2. Nedmundo

Nedmundo Supporting Member

Jan 7, 2005
    Philadelphia
    For your purposes, an SWR Son of Bertha 1x15" should fit the bill. I almost bought one to go with my Goliath III, but with my aging knees I'm moving to smaller 1x12" cabs. I tried the Goliath III/Son of Bertha combination at GC once, and it sounded fantastic.

3. ElephantTalk

ElephantTalk

Jan 20, 2005
    Indy
    Someone had once told me the SOB wasn't all that good.

I'll have to go to the local shop and test.

4. chadds

chadds

Mar 18, 2000
    The SOB isn't that good for this match up and has about a third of the power handling of the GIII. This other poster had cone excursion problems with this setup. The G3 can handle 700 watts. Why not just crank the iamp and forget about it. Then buy another cab for smaller gigs alone like a CXL112. EAs match great with EAs. I have to G3s that I use with an SWR 750 (often only one!) and a pair of CXL112s with an iamp 800 that I use for smaller more articulate gigs. Imho.

5. tornadobass

tornadobass Supporting Member

Nov 20, 2000
    Iowa City, Iowa
    Endorsing Artist: Black Diamond & SuperSensitive strings
    I have a G2 and tried to match an Eden D210T with it, but the Eden is clearer/brighter and it was tough to find one EQ that worked with both. My G2 gets run alone from an SM-400 bridged, which works fine. The Eden finally got paired with an Eden 15...and they're a very good match.

6. The G3 has such a unique sound, I think it would be hard to match another non-SWR cab to it. Also, you run into the problem of the smaller 8ohm cab getting as much power delivered to it as the G3, which sometimes causes a mismatch.

My suggestion (since you asked for suggestions :D ) would be to either trade in your G38ohm for a nice, new shiny G34ohm, or sell the G3 and get two of the same smaller cabs in 80hm versions (depending on your sound preference and weight sensitivity, two Berg or Epi112's, two Eden XLT210's, etc.).

Finally, I've found the medium size Schroeder cabs (1210 and 1212) with the optional more aggressive tweeter can cop the SWR vibe with some tone tweaking on the amp. A 4ohm 1210 will put out just about as much sound (IMO) as the 8ohm G3, and you would have a much smaller package.

Good luck on your search.

7. pickles

pickles Supporting Member

Mar 23, 2000
    Ventura, CA
    He's only got a 600 watt head, so each cab will see 300 watts. It will be fine.

SOB would be good, but you could always go for another goliath III :bassist:

8. Fred312b

Fred312b What if I want to play jazz precisely? Supporting Member

Apr 23, 2002
    Chicago, IL
    i will also disagree with this post- i had a sob (sold) along with my 8 ohm g3 (for sale here on tb) and i thought they were a very good match. the sob handles 350 watts, and i thought it kept up rather well with the g3, which is a very efficient cab. i also thought the sob was a very light 60 pounds. it's a good cab and a good match for the g3 - almost like they were made for each other ;). it also sounds pretty good on its own. however, i have never tried a five through it so i don't know how it handles a low b (although when bp reviewed it they said it handled it well). of course, ymmv.

9. ElephantTalk

ElephantTalk

Jan 20, 2005
    Indy
    Thanks for the input.

Kjung, I have a Schroeder 1210. (I'm going to get knocked around on this...) I don't think that it sounds as crisp and clean through the range with the iAmp600 as the G3 does.
    of course I'm standing 10 feet directly in front of both of them, but it just seemed like the G3 was covering the spectrum better than the 1210.
    I haven't played with the EQ settings w/ the 1210 connected, so I'll give that a try.

I do dig both of these cabs though....I will defintely keep posting any differences that I find.

-ET

10. With the standard tweeter, it is somewhat mellower than the G3 (which is not a bad thing in and of itself).. with the optional higher output tweeter it can approximate the G3 sizzle IMO, it that's the sound you are going for. Jorg said, if I remember his comment correctly, that about 70% of his cabs ship with his standard tweet and 30% with the Selenium.

11. Do yourself a favor and try your amp with a 2 x Goliath III setup. I bought my SM-900 about 2 years ago and had a single Goliath III at the time. I was in a similar position as you (looking for another cab to add to it) and tried everything under the sun (of SWR cabs). Really, nothing else sounded anywhere nearly as good as another Goliath III, and nothing else was much more portable than a single Goliath III. That is, I would find a single Goliath III great for smaller gigs. I don't know if it's possible to find something that is significantly more portable than a Goliath III which *also* pairs nicely with a Goliath III in a bigger rig.

That being said, the SOB recommendations are good, if I *had* to have something else than a G3 for cab # 2, I would go with that. Also remember I didn't try any non-SWR cabs so maybe there is a good match somewhere non-SWR.

John

12. chaosMK

chaosMK

May 26, 2005
    Albuquerque, NM
    Hi-fi into an old tube amp
    I recently got a Goliath III and use a Mesa Bass 400 head. The tone was totally different than the other cabs that I had been using. I tried matching it up with my WM 1x15 (which ordinarilly I really like as a standalone with this head) and it kicked much less than expected.

I followed through with my original plan of matching the g3 to a Mesa/Boogie Powerhouse 4x10. This cab combination is quite sick, though over 200lbs to transport/move around. The Mesa cab has some punchy qualities to it, crispy highs and a tight (rather than boomy) low end, and works wonders with my Bass 400. This works really well to balance out the G3's lack of thick bass and slightly sterile qualities. I use this 8x10 setup for progressive rock/metal and am not disappointed at all! Maybe Ill post a few pics up soon.

Mesa cabs aren't a bad combination with the G3. Maybe a Powerhouse 2x10, or 1x15 would work. They are great for low B, or even low A and standalone, of course.