Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

8X10 VS Mutiple cabs

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Bass for Beef, Mar 6, 2006.

1. Bass for Beef

Bass for Beef

Aug 11, 2005
    Nebraska
    Hey,

I'm trying to buy a new amp setup and well I just cant figuyre out what I want (plus money is an isssue, buts isn't it always). I've used the Ampeg 8X10 a couple times in the past, but found that hauling it from gig to gig is a pain. It's loud yes, but I'm not sure what head to use to gimme tone out of it.

My other option is to buy seperate cabs. This would lessen the size factor in half and I think (correct me if I'm wrong) give me more tonal options. I'm thinkin a 4X10 and a 15.

One last thing, keeping in mind i havn't seen the condition. Some where I live is selling a Ampeg 810 and a SVT3- PRo head for 1300...should I definatly look into it and if i do, do you think i could resell if for more (pending upon the condition)
    Tooltes,
    Cherron

2. Mystic Michael

Mystic Michael Hip No Ties

Apr 1, 2004
    New York, NY
    All other things being equal, get multiple cabs - in 8-ohm configuration - for the flexible mix & match options, easier portability, etc.

That said, no one here has any idea what kind of rig you presently own, what kinds of playing conditions you face, what genre(s) of music you play, or what kind of sound you're after...

Care to provide a little detail?

MM

3. Poon

Poon

May 20, 2003
    Los Angeles, CA
    Bergantino NV610.... nuff said. Almost as loud as an 810e, compact and portable enough to fit into the backseat of my mazda 3. It's my cab of choice right now. I just got my S810 though (Aguilar's 810), so we'll see how my NV610 competes now.

4. Plain Old Me

Plain Old Me

Dec 14, 2004
    The local used deal seems to be a ripoff to me. A rig like that should probabally go no more than $800 in my experience. What are you currently using? If you like the Ampeg 810 sound but not the size, a Bergantino 610 is perfect.

5. Masher88

Masher88 Believe in absurdities and you commit atrocities

May 7, 2005
    Cleveland, OH
    Schroeders' 310212 kicks the nuts outta the Ampeg 8x10e (I own both) and it's easier to lug around...about half the size and weight. It's a bit expensive, though. What is your budget?

6. Quadzilla

Quadzilla Supporting Member

Poon, be sure to update us on the Berg vs the Aggie!

7. Bass for Beef

Bass for Beef

Aug 11, 2005
    Nebraska
    Well right now i'm using a Peavey combo 115. I play a 5 and a 6 string bass, and sometimes an upright through it. I play a wide range of styles from Jazz-fastrock stuff (vague i know)