1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

9 volt adaptor running "hot" when the pedal is off...

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by Inconnu, Jan 11, 2012.

1. I just noticed that. The pedal is off, and the adaptor is a little hot (not "plastic about to melt" hot, but still kind of hot). I've got a bunch of other pedals plugged into separate adaptors, into the same power bar, and none of them run hot. The one running hot is plugged into my only non-true bypass pedal. Could this be the reason why (pedal draws power even when turned off)? Should I worry about that? Take note that I'm using the pedal's original adaptor, not some cheesy generic adaptor that doesn't put out the right voltage.

2. skarspastahair

skarspastahair

Jul 25, 2011
    Melbourne
    I'm pretty sure they still draw power when not on, if you have everything working then remove the power from one pedal that should stop the signal.

And adapters run hot when they get close to their limit. Most small adapters run 110ma (in Australia at least) and I don't run more than about 75-80ma so it doesn't get hot.

Check your pedal's Ma draw and how much the adapter can run.

3. Leave it plugged in the outlet BUT unplug it from pedal. If it still gets hot then its not the pedal.

4. Just pour some water on it:p