1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

A 5 string with a Geddy neck?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Ampegged Paul, Apr 2, 2009.

1. Ampegged Paul

Ampegged Paul

Jun 17, 2008
    Syracuse,NY
    OK...the good news,I LOVE,LOVE,LOVE my Geddy because of its neck. The bad:I would like a 5 string so I can be more versitile. Is there a factory bass out there that has both?
    Thanks in advance!:bassist:

2. hands5

hands5

Jan 15, 2003
    good 'ol USA/Tampa fla.
    none
    You may would like to contact Dave Certain at certainbasses.com or just keyword Dave Certain

3. Ampegged Paul

Ampegged Paul

Jun 17, 2008
    Syracuse,NY
    Thanks. I should be more specific. What I meant was a thin neck similar to a Geddy...not the Geddy neck itself.

4. SanDiegoHarry

SanDiegoHarry Banned Supporting Member

Aug 11, 2008
    San Diego, CA
    You mean a thin, narrow 5 string?

Zon, baby.

5. Ron Plichta

Ron Plichta

May 19, 2007
    Fairfax, VA
    Mike Lull can build a V5 with a maple neck, black block inlays, black ash body and white pickguard. He doesn't do the neck binding, but the rest of the bass looks amazingly close to a Geddy Lee J-bass.

I have one strung with Rotos and it's as punchy as Lee's bass.

6. i dont think it could handle it....

7. I would also be interested in a five string neck with similar dimensions as the GL jazz, preferably without going custom.

8. Nino Valenti

Nino Valenti Supporting Member Commercial User

Feb 2, 2001
    Staten Island NYC
    Builder: Valenti Basses
    Did he stop offering binding? Here are a couple of Lull's w/ blocks and binging:
    http://www.blueberryhillbass.com/sb_lull.htm

9. Nino Valenti

Nino Valenti Supporting Member Commercial User

Feb 2, 2001
    Staten Island NYC
    Builder: Valenti Basses
    Of the 5 string basses I've tried there aren't many with a really thin neck like a Geddy.

Maybe a Lakland. Some graphite necked basses were nice and thin, Modulus, Zon. You can look at Ibanez basses. Sadowsky Metro necks are pretty slim but the Lakland was slimmer.