1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

A/B switch for expression pedal?

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by bassbmx, Jul 20, 2007.

1. I'm looking at getting an expression pedal for my DL-4 delay but I also want one for the Barge VFB-X when I get it. I wouldn't be able to use two expression pedals at once and there'd be no use anyway so would I be able to use a EHX Switchblade to swap the expression pedal for use between the DL-4 and the VFB-X? It'd save space and a smll amount of money.

2. TheMutt

TheMutt Guest

Apr 28, 2007
    I am not sure if the switchblade would be able to do what you want it to. IIRC the Switchblade is a 3-jack pedal that has either one input and two outputs, or two inputs and one output set as an A/B. I am not sure how most expression pedals work, but from the only pedal that I have with an expression function, there is a CV send and CV Return; requiring two cables. Which would mean that you would need to get something that had two inputs and outputs theoretically. If my pedal is a wacky one and everyone else only uses one cable for their expression pedals, please disregard. :oops:

3. I've got a feeling that your pedal might just be odd. I could be wrong though. I know that the DL-4 only has one exp. pedal jack. Perhaps it's stereo though, I' not sure.

4. speak_onion

speak_onion

Jun 22, 2007
    Queens, NY
    I think your pedal is wacky. What pedal is it?

Also, CV is different than expression. CV actually carries a voltage of 0-5V, whereas an expression pedal is basically just varying resistance. That's why CV pedals need power, whereas expression pedals don't. The switchblade is a one-input/two-output AB switcher, so it should do what you want perfectly. I considered doing the same thing for a while, but then I realized that I needed expression pedal for my PS3 and a CV pedal for my RDS3.6, so I just gave up on exp control of my PS3. I heard of someone who uses an expression pedal into a Boss J5 (like the switchblade except there are 4 outputs and they're always on) and it controls multiple things at once.

Expression pedal jacks are usually stereo (i.e. tip-ring-sleeve connector) because they connect to each leg of the pot (both ends and the wiper) to complete the voltage divider. CV jacks are usually mono (i.e., tip sleeve) because they just need to carry a voltage between two points.

Cool?

5. Sounds wild!!

Thanks for the help. I just didn't want to ship it from the US to find it wouldn't work.

6. Sir Edward V

Sir Edward V Not Actually Knighted... Yet!

Dec 11, 2006
    Massachusetts
    The key is to check your expression pedal to see if it is TRS/stereo (3 rings or mono (2 rings). if it is mono the switchblade will work, if it is stereo, then you need an item that I don't think anyone makes, though it would be easy to make one (if you know anything about these kinds of projects)

7. TheMutt

TheMutt Guest

Apr 28, 2007
    Yeah it is wacky. Took a look at other expression pedal-operable effects and realized that it's the odd one out.
    It's a Chunk Systems Agent 00Funk Mark I (not the new Mark II). Really fun pedal, but I need to get a CV pedal to use with it. I was playing around with my volume pedal but I can't use the whole sweep because it obviously mutes in heel down position. Fun things that I can do with this thing though! :D