Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

A Bad Nut

Discussion in 'Hardware, Setup & Repair [BG]' started by matt bass, Jul 20, 2004.

1. matt bass

matt bass

Apr 28, 2003
    Staffs, England
    Hi there guy's.

Ive recently noticed that my MIM P has not had its nut cut properly. The A string does not rest in the cut out, but simply on the top. The cut it seems, was not made wide enough at the top for it to rest in the nut.

Should I even bother trying to correct this myself or should i get a tech to do it?

I know quality control at Fender Mexico is a bit of a problem, but ive never seen this before.

Thanks

Matt

2. Matt, if the nut is not affecting the way the notes ring, intonation, or play ability, then I suggest leaving it as is.

If you are having problems other than cosmetics, certainately file the nut properly. If you feel uneasy doing it yourself, have a tech do it and watch their technique.

[​IMG]
    Treena

3. matt bass

matt bass

Apr 28, 2003
    Staffs, England
    Thanks Treena. I guess i should get it filed down since im getting a horrible 'twangy' noise playing an open A.

Thanks again

Matt

4. demolition

demolition Guest

Jul 5, 2003
    Conn.
    If it was ok to sit on the nut rather than in the groove then it would be as such,for p-roper intonation and tone ETC....it would definately be a good thing to it the string properely.
    Even something as simple as a nut has a geometry to it, and the angle of the string would be comprimised ,so advising to leave it is not in the best interest,if your unsure of the solution dont make something up just to answer the question.
    Now if your handy with your bass then get a little round file and go a few strokes at a time(for lack of a better word)its easier to take the nut away than to add some back to it,it should set rather quickly with not much more than a few seconds of filing.
    Untill I learned how important every little thing on a bass was and that it was such for a reason I would have said leave it to,but thats how we learn,from asking and experience from others,GOOD LUCK :bassist:

5. Demolition, I'm going to take you to task here. Your advise is mostly sound BUT Treena's was perfectly correct. You should read her post more closely. She stated that IF the bass was playing well and there weren't problems other than cosmetic to leave it alone. That is the right course of action and the right advice to be given on an internet forum when no one can see the instrument in question. You've made an entirely wrong assumption that the bottom of the slot in question is at the proper depth for the string - What if it isn't? What if where the string sits now is the right position and the deep slot is actually the wrong depth. To widen the slot to that depth would be disastrous as you would then have to shore up the slot to bring the string back to the proper playing height. See my point - Just how do you know?

You've made yourself out to be a bass tech. That may be so but your advice has to be tailored to the medium in which it is offered. Since you can't see the instrument and you can't measure it's geometry, you shouldn't make blanket statements about such objective things especially with only a 3 sentence description to go on.

And please don't be calling out respected and helpful members of this forum with little barbs like "if your unsure of the solution dont make something up just to answer the question". As I"ve shown you respect in pointing out your error, you should show more respect here.

Thanx

6. demolition

demolition Guest

Jul 5, 2003
    Conn.
    but be real,if a string is sitting on a nut and not in it, what are the chances all is great with the bass? but I will bow out here because its a no win situation for all.
    I was harsh,I'm sorry,I am just about doing the job correct and having the best playing bass possible,next time I'll let it ride.
    peace :bassist:

7. Hi Matt,

Are these the factory strings on the bass? Just wondering if you replaced a set with some heavier gauge strings. I had a problem similar to this when I changed out some old strings on a friend's bass. The nut came unglued on me, and I noticed the E and A strings were sticking in the slot. With the new gauge strings, the E and A were resting on top of the nut slots.
    Seems the nut was cut for lighter gauge strings, and the heavier E and A strings did sit up on top of the nut slot instead of down in it.
    In this case, the new string height was very noticeable while playing, so I did carefully file the slots to let the string rest down in it. This shouldn't cause problems if I return to lighter gauge strings. IMHO, the string should not bind in the nut, which was happening even with the lighter strings. This would probably result in the nut eventually coming unglued as it did on this bass.

Mag...

8. matt bass

matt bass

Apr 28, 2003
    Staffs, England
    These are the same gauge strings that Fender use on their MIM basses. If they were heavier strings, the E string would also be doing the same.

Thanks for all the advice guy's. Im off to find a tech who can do this for me. The bass needs a set up anyway so i might as well get both done.

Matt

9. Matt, when you have the nut fixed properly, PLEASE post back and let us know what your tech did to fix the twangy A string nut problem!

:hyper: Treena

(Thank you Hambone!)

10. matt bass

matt bass

Apr 28, 2003
    Staffs, England
    Will do Treena. Thanks for all of your help guys.

Matt

11. jani_bjorklund

jani_bjorklund

May 22, 2002
    Finland
    If the string just lies on top of the nut and isn't seated properly it's not OK. That is a problem and has to be attended to.

12. Late to the topic and totally unprepared to discuss it.

Read the post again and you'll see where you went wrong.

:mad: