Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

A bass routine...

Discussion in 'General Instruction [BG]' started by BlackBassPlayer, Jan 16, 2005.

1. BlackBassPlayer

BlackBassPlayer

Jan 4, 2005
    Could anybody help me make a routine while im praticing my bass? Because I have no idea what to pratice really. I just mostly just try to play songs made by bands I like to listen to and I pratice some of the scales I know. Could anybody plz help? :help:

2. There's a thread up top by Jazzbo called Practice Practice I suggest havin a read
    But split your routine up into sections so you get to work on all areas which will help out
    Ear-Training - Learnin songs off CD
    Learn intervals/chords etc...
    Here's a neat site for those intervals www.good-ear.com

Reading - Pitch reading
    Rhythm reading

Techniques - LH tech. ( vibrato ,hammerons,pull off's etc..)
    RH tech ( Slap ,pick ,fingerstyle etc...)

Theory - On paper as well as Instrument ie: Scales arpeggios etc

Improvise/Jamming - This is where you put everything you've learned into practice ie: Jamming with others / group or playing with a backing track like BIAB ( band in a box ) here's the website for that www.pgmusic.com

But the most Important thing is to Enjoy what you're doing if you can make your practicing enjoyable then you're on the way to some good musicanship

3. BlackBassPlayer

BlackBassPlayer

Jan 4, 2005
    Ok thanks a lot for the help. But I have no idea how to learn songs by ear off of CDs and stuff...and what exactly is theory? And is there any way to learn all of the notes on the neck thats not like really hard? Because I just go to the string and go down it by the alphabet but when I do that it doesnt seem to stick. Ill pratice on the techniques. And I have no idea how to read music and stuff. How do you know which string to play when reading music? But what I just said probly doesnt make any sense....Well anyways thanks a lot.

4. Ahh now I see were you're at there are numerous sites on theory just do a search on it ( google it ) but seriously if you can get a couple of lessons with a teacher he/she would show you what to do and more importantly point you in the right direction this would be a wise investment then you can go from there

5. BlackBassPlayer

BlackBassPlayer

Jan 4, 2005
    Ok thanks a lot for the suggestions and yea I started taking bass lessons for like a month I just wanted more stuff to pratice because I only have a lesson once a week. So I pretty much just want to learn a little faster. And about that good ear website, how come it doesnt have bass with the other instraments or is it not suppose to? Anybody else have any suggestions?

6. Kurisu

Kurisu

Nov 19, 2003
    Saskatoon SK
    A "B" is a "B" whether played by a real piano, a synth, or a bass. So don't worry about that too much.

Tell your teacher what you've told us and he/she should come back the next week with some exercises and a plan for you. This will give you goals to work towards every week. If he/she doesn't do that, maybe it's time to find another teacher. :)

As for learning faster - you just have to spend time, and more importantly spend the time wisely. There aren't any shortcuts (don't I know it).

HTH.