Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

A big band recording

Discussion in 'Recordings [DB]' started by Tbeers, Oct 21, 2005.

1. Tbeers

Tbeers

Mar 27, 2005
    Chicago, IL
    I've uploaded a track of the big band in which I play, from our concert last Saturday.

The piece is called "Paseo Promenade," from Benny Carter's Kansas City Suite. I play a relatively short solo about 2/3 of the way into it. Still, I feel it is a good (and recent) example of my playing. The bass sits sort of low in the mix, but that's just the way the sound guys seemed to want it.
    :)

Any and all comments/criticisms/flames are welcomed!

P.S. I know the trombone solo hits a few ugly notes... sorry if you find it aurally bothersome (I know that I do)

http://tsbeers.home.comcast.net/Paseo_Promenade.mp3

2. Aaron Saunders

Aaron Saunders

Apr 27, 2002
    Ontario
    Great playing, T! I'd love to be able to offer criticism, but you're hearing and playing things on a higher level than I am. My only beef is the sound, but I've never heard a live big band or a live big band recording where the bass sounded good to me. Either it's always too stuffy, or in an effort to cut through the band, full of clackity treble. In any case, that was the soundman's fault here.

I'm curious, though -- are the walking lines arranged, or improvised? It seems like every bass part for big band music is written out because the arranger seems to want X note in Y place to coincide with Z horn harmonies.

EDIT: Also, major kudos to your guitarist. He sounds great.

3. Tbeers

Tbeers

Mar 27, 2005
    Chicago, IL
    Thanks for the nice words Aaron. I don't think I'm hearing things on a higher or lower level than anyone else. I'm just hearing them the way... well, the way I hear them! Being able to play what I hear... well, that's the goal, I suppose. And I'm not even 1% of the way there...

I wasn't too pleased with the recorded sound, either. Although I am not exactly sure how the sound guy did it, I strongly suspect that what we are hearing is direct out of my WW.
    *sigh*

Aaron, you should record some more of your own playing. Especially as you get closer to those college auditions!
    :p

edit: In response to your question about the walking lines... they were "quasi-improvised." That's the only way I can describe it. As with a lot of big band music, there were lines written out, but they were so horribly repetitive that I ended up just using them as a guideline.

4. Pcocobass

Pcocobass

Jun 16, 2005
    New York
    A lot of times I will play my own lines over a big band chart, especially when the written ones are sad. One big exception: Thad Jones charts (not the Mickey Mouse watered down versions, but the real stuff). You (meaning myself) better read the lines down because there's no way in hell you're gonna write a hipper line than Thad!

5. Tbeers

Tbeers

Mar 27, 2005
    Chicago, IL
    I've played a couple Thad Jones charts (Groove Merchant comes to mind... awesome piece) and yeah the bass lines were neat.

The problem with the older stuff is that they won't even put the chords in out of consideration! So I am always fearful of straying too far and hitting something that clashes with one of the wind parts.

6. Pcocobass

Pcocobass

Jun 16, 2005
    New York
    T-

I was chillin with your buddy Doug the other night at this bar by Purchase where I play some Thursdays. You should come and hang one night. I'll let you sit in. Usually the band is pretty good.

7. Tbeers

Tbeers

Mar 27, 2005
    Chicago, IL
    Oh, say hi to Doug for me! Maybe I'll try to make it up there some time, it isn't too far after all.... Thanks!

8. Nice work, man. I'm diggin the feel--I like that you don't overcomplicate your lines with skips and triplet drops every two bars! I caught a few nice bop lines in the solo, too...well done tbeers ;)

9. Tbeers

Tbeers

Mar 27, 2005
    Chicago, IL
    One thing I'm always working on is keeping my walking lines as simple as possible. It is unbelievably difficult, but I will never stop trying.

Thanks for the nice words, lowend!

BTW the deal I make with myself is, I will gladly lend my ears to anyone who comments on a recording I've posted. So if any of you guys has anything online, I'd be more than happy to listen to it! It's always valuable to listen to what others are playing.

10. No problem man...I definitely understand the difficulty of simplifying lines! It's always cool to hear other players my age...where are you thinking about for college?

P.S. I have a tune on Damon's sampler page if you're interested...no soloing, just a bunch of walking :smug: