Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

A CALL FOR ALL LAKLANDERS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by SunneyBoy, Jan 31, 2006.

1. Where are all the Laklanders , i have been hanging around talkbass for a few months now and struggle to find many lakland users. It looks like there arent many out there.

If you own a lakland or would like to own one. this is the thread you and i have been looking for .

Share your experience with the rest of us. why you love lakland .

I want to know.
    her name, age ,colour or finish , model, pickups, finger board,
    dip switch settings, how are you stringing her up , and any qaulity moments the two of you have shared together.

My Lakland :
    Name : LA-LA
    55-94 deuxe, fretted birdseye finger board , SD basslines
    tobacco sunburst with figured maple top.

dipswitch setting : boost 500mhz

DR strings.
    play active most of the time .

Treasured moment: Everytime i open her case !

Gas i would love another one just like her but in a fretless.

2. I did order a white DJ5. At this time they are building it and will be finished in april/may..

[​IMG]

3. I have also looked at the DJ5 looks great. what is it that attracted you to the lakland?

4. BurningSkies

BurningSkies CRAZY BALDHEAD

Feb 20, 2005
    Seweracuse, NY
    Are you serious?

It seems like every third guy here owns at least one Lakland.

5. -The looks
    -Passive jazz bass (fralin pickups)
    -Great B string
    -Great value

6. sandmann

sandmann

Dec 27, 2005
    hello,

this is the sandmann from good old (but f.... cold) germany writing.

this one is for me:

i own two usa laklands:

55-94 deluxe with ash-body, tobacco sundburst, figured maple top, maple neck/fretboard (birdseye), bartolini pickups. it is 6 month old/young and i really appreciate its versality. it is very light, has fantastic action and the b-string is as good as the 4 other strings. sometimes i ask myself if i should have ordered it with seymor duncans since the barts sound very "polite", sometimes a bit to shy.

has anyone here a 55-94 with seymor duncans?

the other is a usa joe osborne 5-string:

olympic-white-ash-body, maple neck with maple fretboard (birdseye), tortoise-pickguard, active bartolini-preamp, fralin-pickups.

also very comfortable action, perfect b-string, all the miller-sounds, even more punchy than the 55-94. sounds very clear and modern but also has a nice growl on the bridge-pickup.

i love both basses very much and they are worth every cent (although here in germany the prices for laklands are ridiculous).

i am waiting for a skyline bob glaub/duck dunn that should arrive within the next two weeks ...

regards,

sandmann

7. schön!!

8. Eilif

Eilif Supporting Member

Oct 1, 2001
    Chicago
    My humble '03 55-01.
    no pics yet...

Cherry Sunburst on plain ash with maple neck

MK1 Bart PU's and Pre

Right now it has DR black beauties on it, but I will probably be switching to a longer scale taper wound string soon.

I was attracted to Lakland by the sound, 35" scale, and the amazing modern/vintage design asthetic. The headstock, body, tuners, bridge etc, work so well together visually, and the cherry burst on ash(saddly discontinued on skyline models) is incredibly well done. I was attracted to the skyline because it was what I could afford.

It's first gig will be this friday, (I have only had it for a month and a half) but until then my finest moment was opening the case and literarly gasping at the beautiful sight.

9. NJL

NJL

Apr 12, 2002
    San Antonio
    I paid off a USA JO 5 string Lefty, but it's still being put together...

I can't wait until I get it...

:)

10. Gard

Gard Commercial User

Mar 31, 2000
    Greensboro, NC, USA
    General Manager, Roscoe Guitars
    Here's mine, it's a Standard 55-94, Trans Blue Swamp Ash body, Bird's Eye Maple fingerboard.

Best Fender/Musicman vibe bass I've ever played, solid B string.

I've got DR Black Beauties on mine now, this photos shows it with the original Lakland strings.

11. Loel

Loel Blazin' Acadian Supporting Member

Oct 31, 2004
    I just received my lakland bob glaub (car)

I like:

weight

down size ash body

fralins

fit-finish

price point (skyline)

tone - chrome flats

my first new bass in 30 yrs

doesen't get much better than this!!:p

12. Eggman

Eggman

Dec 3, 2004
    Denver, Colorado
    JO 4
    JO 5
    JO 4 Fretless
    Hollowbody

All skylines and all great basses!!

BTW: Hollowbody is for sale.

13. Mojo-Man

Mojo-Man Supporting Member

Feb 11, 2003
    :cool:
    I 've owned to lakland skylines.
    LPB Joe Osborn maple fingerboard.
    Skyline Duck Dunn Lmt. Edition bass.

I sold JO to friend of mine.
    Keep DD Lmt.Edt.
    You simply can beat these basses for the price.

Saving for USA Glaub.

14. :hyper:
    55-01 Skyline. Bought mine because of all the talk here at TB. Had a MIA Fender P which played nice but my "entry level" lakland's fit and finish is better than the Fender and was $300 bucks less. It played beautifully right out of the box. Amazingly, needed no setup except for tuning. Needed to have rough fret ends sanded but that's not Laklands fault, even though Dan Lakin is paying for it. That's another reason I bought the bass, Lakland's customer service is remarkable. For proof, see my previous post concerning the rough fret ends. Finally, even though the 55-01 is entry level, the bass plays great, smooth neck, string spacing, and the barts are versatile enough for most any sound I'm after (if I'm good enough to play correctly). Overall, I think the Skyline series is one of the best buys around today. :bassist:
    [​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]

15. tiredman9

tiredman9

Aug 15, 2005
    New York

Attached Files:

16. Check screen name...i've had;
    55-02-loved it, 1st Lakland that sold me on the company. I had one of the first generation that had the imitation Gotohs, so I changed them out for USA hipshots, great bass. I liked it so much that I had to have a USA 55-94, so I sold the 55-02 and got a 55-94 deluxe from Bassdr or Thumper or somebody here....Heaven.

I've since gotten a USA Bob Glaub that I strung with TI Flats for those old school gigs...I can't imagine a better P bass!

I plan on getting one built with the new Lakland/Hanson pickups.

I'd also like one with Basslines.

And then there's this company called Dingwall.......oh well, that's another thread, I'm not giving up my Lakies, though!

17. hands5

hands5

Jan 15, 2003
    good 'ol USA/Tampa fla.
    none
    I ordered this same bass via bass central

18. hands5

hands5

Jan 15, 2003
    good 'ol USA/Tampa fla.
    none
    EXACTLY,not to mention this is one of the few Jazz type basses,that actually has the true growl of a old 70's jazz bass,and a huge !!! B string IMO

19. Seriously, they're everywhere around here. I just searched the members list for people with "Lakland" listed in the "current setup" section of their profiles and it seems that 458 people on talkbass own at least 1 Lakland :smug: Almost twice as many as own Sadowskys. :p

20. Yep, this place has a whole bunch of us "Laklanders" and there are quite a few threads. If you do a search you will find a massive "show your lakland" thread.

Another can't hurt I guess.

I have had a 55-94 Deluxe, Amber finish since 1999.

can't say enough about the bass, love it.