1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

A complete Bass Tabs Method ?

Discussion in 'General Instruction [BG]' started by holy, Oct 9, 2019.

1. holy

holy

Oct 9, 2019
    Hi !

(First, I'm french, my english is not perfect, don't hesitate to correct me)

Do you have a must-have method book for the bass ?

I'm a drummer, and learning bass since a year.

I already own the Hal Leonard complete edition, but I don't think it fits with what I'm searching for : too much blues and rock lines for me, it forces me to read the notes (which I do know read but it is slowing me down), also this method seems to evolve too slowly for me, I prefer something hard and enjoy every page of a book. The Hal Leonard's Method makes me want to skip pages until I find something challenging...
    This is not normal.

Then, I am searching for a complete course (finger, slap, pick, scales, chords, anything ! I like technical stuffs) :
    - in the form of a book (i want to find my "bible", with a beggining and an end, something that I can touch, I don't like online courses at all)
    - with tabs (I'm using the Hal Leonard's method to improve on reading)
    - modern examples : fusion, jazz, even electro for example. I'm not rejecting classic rock and blues music, it's just it's less interesting FOR ME (no offense guys).
    - something organized : not just a compilation of music tabs, skills building and advices are important

Maybe this book does not exist, but this thread could be a good way to summarize the pros/cons of different book references.

Thanks for your help mates ! [​IMG]
    Holy

2. fearceol

fearceol

Nov 14, 2006
    Ireland
    Hello and welcome to TB :)

In my opinion the Hal Leonard book is one of the best out there. You don't have to like the music featured in the book. Simply learn what the book is teaching and then apply it to the music you like.

You give the impression of being in a big hurry, and of looking for a "quick fix" book. Learning an instrument is a life long pursuit. There are no short cuts. You start with the basics and work a step at a time from there. Learning "challenging" stuff is all well and good, but neglecting the simple basics will slow you down in the long run.

I'm sure others here will chime in with alternate book selections, but IMO it's not so much the book that matters, but your attitude to, and patience with learning.

Best of luck with your bass playing. :bassist:

Malcolm35 likes this.
  3. mambo4

mambo4

Jun 9, 2006
    Dallas
    Paul Westwood's Bass Bible contains everything you mention, with tab + notation.
    Tab is not as powerful as finding the fingerings yourself, in the long run.

The influence of the blues on today's music cannot be understated, especially if jazz is on your radar.
    Any serious musician should establish a basic understating of the blues harmony variations and scales.

'Classic rock' is steadily losing relevance in today's music, but never blues.

4. Malcolm35

Malcolm35

Aug 7, 2018
    The Hal Leonard book you have will have everything you need. Now what you do with that information comes from your understanding of how music goes about doing the things you want to do.

I'm going to send you to:
    The complete Idiot's guide to Music Composition. I suggest you go the chord route with out an understanding of chord structure and what can be played over them you will keep running into stone walls.

Take a month and study music composition, then go get um tiger.