1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

A couple noob questions

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by bsn06, Apr 30, 2009.

1. bsn06

bsn06

Apr 24, 2009
    Did a quick search and didn't find what I was looking for, so forgive me if this subject has been beaten to death. Also, I realize that this is a highly personal and subjective topic, but help a new guy out if you can.

I've had my bass for a couple weeks and my A string won't stay in tune for more than 10 minutes or so. Came from the factory with D'Addario strings, and my guitar playing son says that if it's not staying in tune I need to change them. He didn't have any recommendations, so do any of you? To head off questions as to my "style" of play- I don't have one, I'm as noob as noob gets, learning at this point from a Hal Leonard book and the internet.

Also, what's the deal with all the clubs here? If I join the Ibanez club do I get to learn the special handshake or something?

2. Jim Carr

Jim Carr Dr. Jim Gold Supporting Member

Jan 21, 2006
    Denton, TX or Kailua, HI
    fEARful Kool-Aid dispensing liberal academic card-carrying union member Musicians Local 72-147
    Clubs are just threads. Welcome to TB!

The set-up and repair forum is a better place for the tuning question, but it could be a faulty tuner or bad string wrap (installation issue), or a bad string. Since you are a beginner, you need someone with a lot of experience to look at it. You may need a paid guitar tech, IMHO.

3. if it doesn't stay in tune i could be the tuning key also. in fact, i don't think it's a string problem, but anyways.

what brand is the bass? the tuning keys?

as about the strings....what kind of D'addario... flats or rounds

flatwounds are the ones that feel smooth and are plain, like the double bass ones

the roundwounds are the ones that are wrapped in round circles...

[​IMG]

4. bsn06

bsn06

Apr 24, 2009
    Thanks for the prompt replies. Didn't think about the set up forum, but don't want to double post now.

The bass is an Ibanez AFB200 hollow body with roundwound strings. Tuning key sounds like it might be a winner, as I'm not having trouble with any of the other strings. I'm off the next couple of days so I'll see about getting it set up right.

Thanks again.