Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

A couple things...

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by i like tictacs, Apr 16, 2004.

1. Hey, I'm new to posting here. I've read the forums for about a year but just got around to registering a couple months ago I believe. Anyway, I've been playing some bass, hell I don't even know what it is. All I know that it is a Samick, not sure of the model, have run numerous searches on it and whatnot. Yadda yadda enough banter. I've been playing this for a pretty good deal of time now, and I think it's time to move up. I've played a few Warwicks, I liked them I just didn't like the Black Label strings. A little rough on my hands. I have also played some Spectors. The Euro to be more specific. It was nice but I also know of a few musicians who use Modulus and I absolutley love the tone of those. The only problem is that I can't get my hands on it to play, so if I were to buy one it would pretty much be a blind purchase. So my question to you is, if I did get the Warwick (Corvette 5 or Thumb 5), and tossed the black label strings for something else, would it still have that 'Warwick tone' so to say? And of the three basses mentioned, what would you recommend? I'm playing mostly rock, and a little slap bass in here and there if the situation calls for it.

And as for the bass I'm playing now, if anyone could identify it, that would be cool. It says Samick on the headstock, and I have no freakin idea what model.

2. Adam Barkley

Adam Barkley Mayday!

Aug 26, 2003
    Jackson, MS
    I have a 96 Vette 4 string and I haven't ever put Warwick strings on it and it still sounds like a Warwick.

With it I can get tones similar to P-Nut, Stephen Lessard, and many others using the bass controls and moderate EQing.

3. Nice this is good to hear.

4. Adam Barkley

Adam Barkley Mayday!

Aug 26, 2003
    Jackson, MS
    One thing to consider if you purchase a new Warwick is to put a brass nut on it. All older Warwicks have these and it makes open strings a sound closer to their fretted counterparts in opinion.