1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

A different type of Hofner

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by RonChase, Jan 21, 2012.

1. RonChase

RonChase

Aug 15, 2008
    I know there are a bunch of Hofner threads out here but I thought I would show one that I had aquired a few months back,It is a Hofner Galaxy,I also own 2 Icons, one trans green and one trans cherry. Each only 1 of 150 and my wife owns a pink one # 7 of only 40 made.I been using the Galaxy along with a LTD EC and Fender Jazz to switch up.I started this thread because I dont recall seeing one of these on the talkbass forums,I am sure somewhere there is,I took off the cheesy little plastic tuners and switched to larger metal ones.

2. RED J

RED J Lol

Jan 23, 2000
    Tell us some more about the sound qualities, playability etc. of this critter. I have looked everywhere for reviews and nothing. Thanks !

3. RonChase

RonChase

Aug 15, 2008
    Sounds very similar to the Icon,I left rounds on it instead of going to the flatslike on the Icons,I tend to let my amp do the work anyway but the playability is good no neck dive punchy sound looks good,it is a short scale,I have no preference,for years I used 34 inch scale but I am going to use it on a gig tomorrow I will report back.I have had it only a short while but around the house its been fine it will be good to hear it with 2 15's and 4 10's.I am a creature of habit and been stuck on the Icons

4. RonChase

RonChase

Aug 15, 2008
    Hi Red J I used it some on friday and sunday,I used my wifes combo amp a 180 Behringer then I used on sunday a 15 inch Peavey with a 250 watt Hartke the bass its hard to say but I feel its closer to the Icons then the 80% sized jazz that it is.The pickups are identical.I actually slashed my right index and middle finger thursday and used my thumb and a pick so I feel the sound is in my opinion more like the Icons but I feel this axe will get put through the paces with concert season coming up where I will be using either1 or 2 15's with 2 or 4 10's depending on venue