A distant lesson from a distant land.

Discussion in 'General Instruction [BG]' started by Papa Dangerous, Oct 10, 2011.

1. Papa Dangerous

Papa Dangerous

Feb 1, 2011
    I hope this is the right section for this - seems most appropriate.

So lately I have been exploring new music. Some I have heard, but not really listened. Today, I wanted to listen to Indian music. Who else other than Ravi Shankar.

There is something about this style of music, I believe it is Raaga/Raga, but I can be too sure. (Considering I know of 23049 different sub genres of metal...)

I watched this video:

Pandit Ravi Shankar - Ind Day Celebrations - YouTube

After that, I guess it was a play list and more videos played. One of the videos was a demonstration of Ravi Shankar teaching the sitar.

From what I do know about Raaga/Raga, it uses drones almost consistently. It sets up the music to be played over it. This seems to require a lot of repetitive playing. I know when I play... I can get tired of constant repetition and want to go somewhere else... but after watching this video, I am more understanding of patience and discipline. I hope that if you decide to watch some of these videos, you pick up something from it as well. If you have nothing to gain, than perhaps just enjoy the music :)

2. A million thanks for this reminder, Papa Dangerous. :)

I have been so focused on my particular tree that I had forgotten about the rest of the forest. Now I can remember when a friend turned me on to Ravi about 25 years ago. Good to know (thanks to Wikipedia) that he yet lives, teaches, and inspires.

3. Ed Fuqua

Ed Fuqua

Dec 13, 1999
    Augusta GA
    Chuck Sher publishes my book, WALKING BASSICS:The Fundamentals of Jazz Bass Playing.
  4. Lithius

Lithius

Dec 20, 2009
    ragas focused on a bar of 16 notes rather than traditional four
    one thing i like to use a drone is start by play the open D and the 7 fret on the G
    than i move about sliding on the notes of a scale
    the modes of major scale, melodic minor and harmonic minor are great
    the hindu scale and hamronic minor i tend to use the most,
    i love all indian music, so much win

5. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Jul 24, 2021