Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

A few opinions please...

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by CrapBass, May 24, 2004.

1. CrapBass

CrapBass

Mar 11, 2004
    Mckinney TX
    Hi,

I have gotten sick of my crappy 20w practice amp and I am starting to look around at a new amp. I will have probably $600-$700 to spend so I want to go pretty nice. I have looked at some different stacks. Avatar is out of the question since I am not able to play one before I spend my money on it. I was thinking something like an Ampeg BSE410H with a Behringer BX3000T head. I really, really like Ampeg so I think that this cab is probably pretty good. I have heard good things about that Behringer too. I have also been looking at this. http://www.musiciansfriend.com/srs7...ass/s=electric/search/detail/base_pid/480388/

Can you guys who know this kind of stuff please help me out a little? What are your guys opinions on these? And if there are better choices for me please let me know.
    Oh also, I like to play Metallica kind of stuff or like alternative stuff like 311 or somthing. Plus I want to learn how to slap.

Thanks
    Mike.
    :bassist:

2. I think the Ampeg BSE410H is $500. That doesn't leave you much for a head.

If I were you I wouldn't count out Avatar. The B212 is $320, loud as can be, and sounds great. There is a return policy on these as well, but I don't think you would be disappointed at all, especially considering your current amp status.

3. xb100

xb100

Mar 24, 2004
    NH, In
    Well if i were youd id look maybe at an ashdown MAG 300 head persoanlly the bx300t and the MAG 300 are the same cept the Mag 300 in my eyes is better quality. And yes go with avatar great stuff on accout of yout budget. If i were you id get a decsent head maybe from carvin or ampeg then see what i have left for a cab, you can cabs really cheap the avatar 210 is 229+29shipping.

4. smperry

smperry Moderator Staff Member Gold Supporting Member

Nov 3, 2003
    Bay Area, CA
    Endorsing Artist: Martin Keith Guitars
    What's your location? Is there used stuff around?

Personally, I'd keep an eye out for a used Eden 210 xlt or Music Man 210 or 212, and spend the rest (half or so) on the loudest (used) head you can get.

If you have to go with new, I'd probably agree with other suggestions. I don't think that Ampeg cab is ideal for the style of playing you're looking to do.

JMHO,
    Marshall

5. CrapBass

CrapBass

Mar 11, 2004
    Mckinney TX
    Hey what do you guys think of something like an Ampeg BA115HP or the Ampeg BA210SP. I really dont want to get an avatar.
    I have played the BA115 and liked it. So I figured that 220W it better than 100. Plus the BA210 looks real nice too.
    Opinions?
    Thanks

Mike

6. Emprov

Emprov

Mar 19, 2003
    I wouldn't count out Avatar either. Check out the Low Down/Dr Bass/Avatar thread, don't think that you can miss too badly with either one. I went with a few Dr. Bass cabs, pick up one of those with a 2-spc rack built in, that'd leave about 4 bills for a eBay head (SWR 400s?) and you've got yourself an incredible sounding rig that you could add a second cab onto if the need arises.

7. CrapBass

CrapBass

Mar 11, 2004
    Mckinney TX
    But I do not want an avatar. I am asking about ampeg.
    :)

8. iualum

iualum

Apr 9, 2004
    Take a look at Dr.Bass too. Like Avatar, Dr.Bass has a refund policy. Dr.Bass is a 2 weeks no questions asked policy. Not sure exactly about Avatar, but I think maybe the same.

Marc(Dr.Bass) is really ez to work with. Great guy. He's got a 4 Ohn 2x12(1000 Watts RMS) & an 8 Ohm 2x12(800 Watts RMS). Price for either is $399. And he's got a 4 or 8 Ohm 2x12(500 Watts RMS) for $299.

These don't show on his website, but if you call him, he'll email you an updated product list & prices.

9. CrapBass

CrapBass

Mar 11, 2004
    Mckinney TX
    #1: I have said 3 times that I would like opinions on Ampeg.
    #2: The reason I don't want one of those amps is because I don't buy guitar stuff that I can't play first, much less ever hear about those 2 brands.

So now I ask once again, do some of you please have opinions on those Ampegs that I mentioned. Thank you to those who offered advice on Dr. Bass and Avatar, but I am not interested in those brands.

Thanks
    Mike

10. xb100

xb100

Mar 24, 2004
    NH, In
    Ok heres some adivce for ampeg, like someone has already stated before me their a little expensive so get more money :)

11. smperry

Nov 3, 2003
    Bay Area, CA
    Sorry man, I only offered other options because of that sentence above I put in bold. I'm guessing others did the same.

It sounds like you're already sold on Ampeg, so I'd say get whatever you like best and can afford. I'm not a fan of Behringer heads I've heard, but maybe its a different model..anyway, if you like it...

Good luck,
    Marshall

12. CrapBass

CrapBass

Mar 11, 2004
    Mckinney TX
    But I also said that Avatar is out of the question....

Thanks Anyways,
    Mike

13. Ok. Here's what I think. I think you're looking for a piece to show off to your buddies more than to listen to. If you really want to rule out the opinions of experienced working musicians than I guess we can't help you.

14. smperry

Nov 3, 2003
    Bay Area, CA
    ...And other brands have been suggested by me and others. If you're just going to go with only one brand that you can hear at a store for yourself, just go by that.

In case you don't already know this, there are tons of Ampeg and other cabinet reviews at http://bgra.net and http://harmony-central.com.

Marshall

15. Ampeg is overpriced compared to what you can get these days. They used to be one of the only choices but that just isn't the case anymore.

In MY OPINION you will be wasting your money on bottom of the barrell Ampeg junk!

16. Humabass

Humabass Supporting Member

Mar 16, 2002
    Northern Virginia
    I think you need to spend most of your money on the head, not the cab. I'd look for a used Eden WT300 and then a used cheap 8 ohm 210 cab and 8ohm 115, even something like a used Peavey or Carvin. It may be a little more than you mentioned but at that price point and with the type of music you play and with your "beginner" status the head will really determine how you sound and the speakers just need to move a lot of air. You don't need to worry about what cab is "focused" "articulate",blah,blah. Step away from the inexperienced players tendency to say "I want this brand or that brand" and use common sense. Buy what will enable you to make music, not what looks cool. I started out using SVTs and multiple 410s but when I ran out of money I ended up using a Fender Basmman 135 head and two homemade 15 cabs with JBL's. Got the head for $50.00 and the cabs for $75.00 each. It sounded great and allowed me to play with any band.

17. Emprov

Emprov

Mar 19, 2003
    Hmmm, ok. Well, have you considered Low Down? :D :bag:

And, once more, save up some more money if you're set on Ampeg. As a past owner of more than a few Ampeg cabs, I'm not really all that impressed with much in the price range in which you're looking.

18. CrapBass

CrapBass

Mar 11, 2004
    Mckinney TX
    Yeah, I really would like to try an avatar, but I am just afraid something will happen in the return policy if I don't like it. I really know absolutely nothing about cabs and heads so I really am afraid of that too. I guess you guys are probably absolutely right when you reccomend Avatar or Dr. Bass because I have no reference point on how good an amp is. Do you guys think that a 2x10 cab is good for a funky slap sound? If I bought a new Avatar 2x10, I would have about $450 for a head or so? Could I get a decent used head for that price?

Sorry About Earlier..
    Thanks
    Mike

19. CrapBass

CrapBass

Mar 11, 2004
    Mckinney TX
    Oh, also, should I save and buy the cab and head all at once, or buy each of them when I can afford them?

20. CrapBass

CrapBass

Mar 11, 2004
    Mckinney TX
    Ok, do you know a good place that sells eden's so I can play around on one? Also you guys are reccomending used heads and cabs too. Where is the best place to find used stuff like this? Ebay?