1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

A Finger-Twister From Scott Colley

Discussion in 'Music [DB]' started by Sam Sherry, Apr 7, 2009.

1. Sam Sherry

Sam Sherry Inadvertent Microtonalist Supporting Member

Sep 26, 2001
    Portland, ME
    Euphonic Audio "Player"
    I was listening to "Five-Two" again last night off of Portable Universe. What gorgeous writing -- Dave Holland, please meet Dave Binney.

Anyway, after all these years of listening I transcribed it. Bucko, it sounds easy but it ain't.

On the attached, the tempo is about Q=100. One bassist plays BOTH parts simultaneously. Have fun -- I sure will!

2. Chris Fitzgerald

Chris Fitzgerald Student of Life Staff Member Administrator

Oct 19, 2000
    Louisville, KY
    I nailed pages 2 and 3 on sight. Dead on. Intonation was perfect. My reading must be better than I thought!

Seriously, thanks for sharing and do tell more about Portable Universe - this is the first I've heard of it.

3. bassist14

bassist14

Oct 17, 2005
    Germany
    the pdf i get has only one page. :confused:

edit: sam, thanks for these 15 bars. they make me want more :cool:

4. Ed Fuqua

Ed Fuqua

Dec 13, 1999
    NYC
    Chuck Sher publishes my book, WALKING BASSICS:The Fundamentals of Jazz Bass Playing.
    Pages 2 and 3 aren't the only things you don't get...

5. bassist14

bassist14

Oct 17, 2005
    Germany
    ok, then please help me

6. Piece o'cake....:eek:

7. Ed Fuqua

Ed Fuqua

Dec 13, 1999
    NYC
    Chuck Sher publishes my book, WALKING BASSICS:The Fundamentals of Jazz Bass Playing.
    OK.

It's a joke. It's hard to play. But since there IS only one page, when Chris says he played pages 2 and 3 PERFECTLY ON HIS FIRST TRY it's funny.

In a self deprecatorial sort of way.

8. Some of that looks impossible to play simultaneously. I say this from a place of suckiness so great that none of you ever reach!

9. Sam -- Thanks for sharing.

Chris -- Thanks for the laugh of the day.

I'm going to try this tonight. Figure if I play the first part V-E-R-Y S-L-O-W-L-Y and record it on my Zoom H4, record the second part the same way, the speed up both tracks, I'll pretty much have it.

Or not.

10. Sam Sherry

Sep 26, 2001
    Portland, ME
    Euphonic Audio "Player"
    I was wrestling between responding
    a) "Yeah, it has a certain John Cage quality to it" or
    b) "Awright, wise guy, YOUR womens' basketball team shall SUFFER tonight."
    Either of which is true.

Most folks 'round these parts already know what a monster technician and outstanding musician Scott Colley is. I've seen him in the past few years with Kenny Werner's band (Chris Potter, Randy Brecker, Antonio Sanchez) and Herbie Hancock's Quartet. He's on landmark sides by Chris Potter, including the iconic Gratitude, and of course there's his long "straight-ahead" gig with Jim Hall.

Portable Universe is a mighty fine record on the "Freelance" label. (No!) Apparently I like it much better than AllMusic does. Outstanding cast -- the saxophonists are David Binney, Donny McCaslin and Chris Potter and that says a lot.

Like some of Dave Holland and some of David Binney, Mr. Colley's writing on Portable Universe has an "open" harmonic quality to it. I'll gloss over it as 'lots of fifths and ninths' although that obviously doesn't do it justice. I ran a chart for "In My Never Mind" at one point and learned from it about "open" writing for two horns. It's deep, with just the right dash of 'tart' on top of 'pretty.'

Gotta work. I AM going to practice FiveTwo. Look out!

11. bassist14

bassist14

Oct 17, 2005
    Germany
    thanks ed, now i get it.

what i don´t get is the last bar: how to hold the low f and play the triplets

12. Ed Fuqua

Ed Fuqua

Dec 13, 1999
    NYC
    Simple, VERY carefully...

13. bassist14

bassist14

Oct 17, 2005
    Germany
    :cool:

14. Sam Sherry

Sep 26, 2001
    Portland, ME
    Euphonic Audio "Player"
    Good point. I'll be cutting the low "F" some short.

It's impressive that you've gotten all the way to the end. Yessah!

15. bassist14

bassist14

Oct 17, 2005
    Germany
    :cool:

:)

16. John Goldsby

John Goldsby Supporting Member

Mar 4, 2003
    Bassist @ WDR Big Band Cologne, Teaching at Conservatorium Maastricht, NL
    Sam, maybe it would read better if you put both lines on one staff, since some of the notes are doubling each other anyway. (I hear the "Do it yourself, John" coming already . . .)

But if you have everything in the computer, you could mind-meld the two lines into one staff and get something that might look more user-friendly and be easier to read.

Some of the notes in the bottom staff have to be held for a shorter values than you notate . . . also there are some notes in the two staves that are not aligned rhythmically (F and high D in bar 10, the low F in the last bar on beat 3 is under the C on beat 4 in the top staff). I'll have to check out the recording . . . thanks for posting -- Scott's a great player.

17. Ed Fuqua

Ed Fuqua

Dec 13, 1999
    NYC
    NOW, you in tha Zone!

18. Chris Fitzgerald

Chris Fitzgerald Student of Life Staff Member Administrator

Oct 19, 2000
    Louisville, KY

Yassuh!

Actually, while I'd love to take credit for a level of subtlety in humor that I aspire to but did not intentionally reach here, the first time I pulled that pdf up, there were empty staves on pages 2 and 3. Now there aren't any pages after page 1, and it's funnier than if there were. Hoo-ahh! :D

19. Sam Sherry

Sep 26, 2001
    Portland, ME
    Euphonic Audio "Player"
    John, that looked like dung last night and it looked like dung this afternoon. It's much clearer on two staffs.

OK, I've made as many of those changes as I can find. Anything for yoooo . . . But it's fair to say, "Play now!"

Gotta work. Glad you all are enjoying this. Scott Colley, man.

20. bassist14

bassist14

Oct 17, 2005
    Germany
    :smug: