1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

A little strange cituation

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Nick Cy, Mar 5, 2019.

1. Nick Cy

Nick Cy

Sep 27, 2018
    Larnaca, Cyprus
    Hello guys,

First time writing here.

I've got a little situation regarding amps and cabinets, and I'd like to ask for your opinion.

I have an SVT Cl and SVT 410HLF. And it's all sounding very well, no problems at all.
    I found myself in a position where I am in need of a portable rig that does not compromise on headroom.

I firstly though of Ampeg SVT 7-Pro, but my SVT 410HLF cannot co-ope [1000w amp with 500w cab]. I also though about Fender Rumble 210 cabinet [700w @ 8ohms], which can be run with the SVT 7PRO easily.

I am also thinking about Hartke LH1000. Can it run into a single 4ohm cabinet at 500w? This means only one of the channels is going to be used. Is this possible? I found nothing related on the internet and I've been researching for some time.

Another thought is to create a custom made attenuator [I have the guy that knows how to do it] and run the SVT CL into a single 8ohm cab.

I know it's quite complex, but I am halfway in just buying the Rumble 210 cab and the attenuator.

Any opinions?

2. Redbrangus

Redbrangus Supporting Member

Nov 19, 2018
    Under The X In Texas
    My random thoughts...at no charge:

If the only reason you want something other than your 4-10 cab is the power handling capability, I wouldn't worry about that too much. Power-handling ratings of speaker systems is a kind of fuzzy area, and a 1000-watt amp doesn't put out a continuous 1000-watts of power. This is a big point of contention here on TB, but I think there is a tendency to place too much emphasis on this sort of "power matching" question. (Slipping on my flame-suit) But if you're also seeking an increase in portability, then the 2-10 box is about as good a choice as any.

If you're seeking a system with uncompromised headroom, I don't think using an external passive attenuator is a good concept.

In general, you can run a solid-state, 2-channel amp with one channel having no load. Happens all the time in the PA biz.

Welcome to TB...we don't see a lot of Cypriots around these parts. Hope you find these remarks worth every bit of what you paid for them. ;) Cheers!

3. DirtDog

DirtDog

Jun 7, 2002
    The Deep North
    What portability issues are you having with the SVT-CL and 410 cab that any of these others possible options would solve? As in, how portable do you need your rig to be?

And welcome! I've been to Larnaca - very beautiful part of the world for sure!

MattZilla likes this.
  4. agedhorse

agedhorse Supporting Member Commercial User

Feb 12, 2006
    Davis, CA (USA)
    Development Engineer-Mesa, Product Support-Genz Benz
    Be sure you are correctly understanding the power handling of the cabinets, and how impedance affects what the amp can deliver into each cabinet.

In your comments, you mention a 700 watt 210, but I believe your amp is rated using RMS units any the cabinet's rating is based on program power (which is typically just 2 times the "RMS" power) or 350 watts RMS. That could be a problem that leads to damage.

Now your amps 1000 watt rated power is based at a 4 ohm load, it delivers roughly 500 watts at 8 ohms, so if your 210 is 8 ohms, you would have a maximum of 500 watts into a 350 watt cabinet which is a little high but workable if you are very careful. If it's a 4 ohm cabinet, you would have 1000 watts available into a 350 watt cabinet and this is IMO a poor and risky choice.

5. JimmyM

JimmyM

Apr 11, 2005
    Apopka, FL
    Endorsing: Ampeg Amps, EMG Pickups
    In other words, pay less attention to raw numbers and more to your ears and common sense, and you can run any wattage amp with any cab.

6. agedhorse

Feb 12, 2006
    Davis, CA (USA)
    Easier said than done, based on what I sometimes see Jimmy.

7. basscooker

basscooker Commercial User

Apr 11, 2010
    cincy ky
    Owner, ChopShopAmps
    Don't run your SVT into 8 ohms

8. JimmyM

JimmyM

Apr 11, 2005
    Apopka, FL
    Endorsing: Ampeg Amps, EMG Pickups
    Yeah, I know, but on the other hand, I see people blowing their cabs thinking that the numbers would save their bacon and it doesn't. So that's why I always try to redirect them toward their ears and common sense.

rodl2005, Redbrangus and agedhorse like this.
  9. FunkHead

FunkHead Supporting Member

Mar 10, 2007
    I always go straight to the Manual. The LH1000 can easily do a single 4 ohm Cab. I prefer Bridged mode with a Speakon Cable. As stated above; use your ears to keep from damaging speaker by overpowering them. Although, You'll get pretty darn loud before that would happen.
    http://www.samsontech.com/site_media/support/manuals/LHseries_OM_EN_v2.pdf

10. agedhorse

Feb 12, 2006
    Davis, CA (USA)
    In my opinion, the risk (way) outweighs any practical benefits here. He has already experienced 1000 watts into his 4 ohm cabinet not working out.

11. agedhorse

Feb 12, 2006
    Davis, CA (USA)
    As a note on attenuators, there are two types, the one that is used after the power amp is totally unsuited for bass in this case, and the one that's between the preamp and power amp doesn't do anything more useful than turning down the master... plus it offers a false sense of security because it doesn't reduce the power available, it just changes the sensitivity required for rated output.

JimmyM and Redbrangus like this.
  12. Redbrangus

Redbrangus Supporting Member

Nov 19, 2018
    Under The X In Texas
    I didn't really take the OP that way...I took it to mean that he was making a decision based on the rated spec's.

I'm with @JimmyM on this; you can pretty much plug any amp into any cab if you don't do anything stupid...and use your ears.

Wasnex and FunkHead like this.
  13. Bodeanly

Bodeanly

Mar 20, 2015
    Chicago
    Not arguing, but why?

14. basscooker

Apr 11, 2010
    cincy ky
    Owner, ChopShopAmps
    It did sound bossy, didn't it?

*ahem*
    Hey, OP, I thought the SVT CL was only set up for 4 or 2 ohm operation. I could be wrong, but are you sure you should run it a 8 ohm?

I feel better. ;)

Bodeanly likes this.
  15. Bodeanly

Bodeanly

Mar 20, 2015
    Chicago
    Again, not to argue, but I was under the impression that lower ohm amps could run any higher ohm cab, just not the opposite.
    For example:
    2 ohm amp + 8 ohm cab=fine
    8 ohm amp + 2 ohm cab=smoke.

16. basscooker

Apr 11, 2010
    cincy ky
    Owner, ChopShopAmps

Yes for solid state amps, but tube amps prefer to be matched.

JimmyM and Bodeanly like this.
  17. Bodeanly

Bodeanly

Mar 20, 2015
    Chicago
    Thank you for clarifying, kind sir!

18. FunkHead

Mar 10, 2007
    FWIW, The LH1000 will crush the loudest of drummers with a single (High Quality) 2x10 in bridge mode. You won't need to go above 3 (out of 10) on the volume knob.
    I have been using that setup for about 10 years.

Not that my Avatar 2x10 is extremely high quality but with the Eminence Delta Neo's, it's more than enough. When i need more, I can go to my Barefaced 2x12.

Important points:

I never crank the bass knob and rely on Mids for my tone.
    I don't allow myself to get into volume wars with multiple guitarists.(I am so beyond that crap)
    I use my ears and don't allow my speakers to be abused.
    If I was in a Reggae band I would get a second Barefaced and use two cabs(and ear plugs)

HolmeBass likes this.
  19. agedhorse

Feb 12, 2006
    Davis, CA (USA)
    Your situation and judgement is considerably different than many that I encounter. I suggest that others do not operate their rigs the same way you do, not do they have the same needs and expectations that you have. If they did, I wouldn't see so many blown speakers would I?

JimmyM likes this.
  20. FunkHead

Mar 10, 2007
    I agree and I think your knowledge is immense. But the Op is looking for a solution for a portable rig.
    I would recommend a Barefaced 2x12 or similar high end cab and any amp at least 500 watts. My Avatar 2x10 Cab is rated at 600 Watts RMS. Since I purchased that one, Avatar started building them rated at 500 watts RMS. So 100 watts lower but still pretty stout.

I would really love to hear your recommendation for the OP(Besides what not to do).

21. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Mar 2, 2021