Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

a problem with an EBS TD650!

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by DirtySocks1379, Feb 27, 2004.

1. Well, I've had the amp over a year and it this is the first bit of trouble I have had with it. Actually it does not really hinder sound or playing, but I just thought it was odd. First, when I have the amp on standby and insert the 1/4 inch jack into the input, a pop eminates from the my speakers and the red gain light flashes. It did not always do this, but it started a few months ago. Now the only reason I find this odd is because I was under the impression that on standby the signal is sent to the tuner output in the back ONLY, and nowhere else.
    Also, I was trying to play the amp at a very low volume for the first time tonight, (first time I've actually had it home and not at the band rehearsal room) and the sound was coming out like it was overdriven, even with the gain and drive knobs lowered. When I cranked it the overdriven sound dissappeared. Is this amp just meant to be played loud and no other way?
    And finally, tonight when I had the amp turned down to this low volume overdrive sound, I switched to standby and could still hear the bass! I waited a few minutes to see if the standby was slow to kick in, but the sound remained, I was getting sounds while it was on standby!
    Anyone know what would cause this? The vocalist for my band turned it on once without it being plugged in to the cab, but I shut it off almost immediately. I've heard something like that can damage heads, could this be the cause?
    Now I know these are not big problems yet, but I would prefer to fix them before they possibly caused other damage.
    Thank you for your time and sorry for the lengthy post.

2. bassomane

bassomane

Apr 3, 2002
    Austria
    I play the EBS HD350 and have exactely the same problem. A distorted sound even with the Volume at 0. On monday I sended it in for repair. I will tell you what the problem was when I will get it back.

3. I´m no expert, but I believe that solid state power amps don´t mind being switched on unplugged.

I´ve have similar experiences of gain knobs "leaking" - not with my own gear fortunately. Perhaps the gain pot is dirty?

4. bassomane

bassomane

Apr 3, 2002
    Austria
    I got my EBS HD350 back from repair and now it sounds better than before !!! The drive knob does not affect the volume as much and the volume knob goes very even from 0 to 11. The driven tone sounds more open with more overtones now. The repair was also done within warranty after more than 1 year. I am really happy now.

5. bassomane: Did they do anything special to it, maybe replaced preamp tube? Did they say what caused the problem w/ the head? I was reading the manual for the 650 the other day and I realized there is a big warning stating not to turn on the amp with the gain and volume up and the phantom power on. I was thinking that this might have happened to me a few times, even though I don't use the phantom power (phantom power button was mysteriously pushed in one time). does the 350 have a phantom power, and do you know if maybe this could have caused our problems?

They are not honoring my warranty over here in the states, and the only authorized repair center (Brooklyn Gear) wants $60 an hour plus I have to pack it and ship it down to Florida (from NY). The sound distortion dissappears at high volumes, so I am just leaving it till I have extra cash.

Thanks for the update bassomane.

6. bassomane

bassomane

Apr 3, 2002
    Austria
    The 350 has no tube inside. Because of this i have only one overdrive style. I don't think that you can damage the amp with the phantom power, only the speaker will not like the loud peak noise when you unplug the bass without turning down the volume.

I have not talked with the music store, what the failure was, but if they could not have it repaired and have to send it to sweden they would have sended me another EBS amp as a backup - for free. This is the service i like.

I hope you will get your amp also repaired for free.

7. Indigo

Indigo

Feb 19, 2004
    Örebro, Sweden
    I also have a HD350. I´ll try playing it at low volume tonight to see if mine has the same problem. I´m fortunate enough to live in Sweden, so the service is great, I even had it in to EBS for modification when it was brand new.
    I had a problem a couple of weeks ago, the volume pot was bad, so I mailed EBS and told them what the problem was, and the technical director replied fast, and sent me a replacement pot for free. So my advice would be to e-mail EBS, describe your problem, and hopeully they can help you out.

elkkid2 likes this.
  8. I have been playing with the TD650 for over a year, and the only problems I have (and EBS tech director recognised that) is that the effects loop and the tuner out jacks are bad, EBS told me to replace them (or send the amp back to EBS so they can replace them) or use a non-lubricant cleaning solvent to clean the contacts. The sound described in the first post is the exact description of the sound I get when the jacks aren't properly put in the effects loop or tuner out.